1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misery Loves Company: my two "friends" who are their OWN social circle

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Noir, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Noir

Hello, everyone! I'm becoming very offended by my two acquaintances--my ex girlfriend and her best friend, J as we'll call him. I can't tolerate much more of their rude and antisocial behavior, and I am embarrassed by them among my other group of friends. They basically ONLY talk to each other, especially J who won't even acknowledge anyone else. (I sat next to him at lunch and kept stealing fries from his plate to see his reaction, and he didn't even glance at my hand!!) He will either mumble so that only my ex can hear him, or else make it very obvious he's talking only to HER. If I say goodbye to him or try and be polite, I have to specifically TELL him that he should say bye back because he's being rude. He just won't give me the time of day anymore.

As for my ex, she'll at least talk to other people sometimes, but she's just so unenthusiastic with her greetings it's as though she HAS to reply to you for courtesy's sake. She and J both are very quick to point out other people's faults and will criticize you for laughing at something they said that you have no knowledge about. They will literally tell people, "Why are you laughing? You don't get it. You don't know what we're talking about." Weird look and all. You know, something CAN be funny even without understanding the reference behind it, and just MAYBE I was laughing at your FACE, J!! :tantrum:

They also do NOT like to be touched by other people they aren't comfortable with. I completely respect this, and I can understand wanting your personal space, but there is a way to be POLITE about it. My ex will get this uncomfortable look on her face and look at you like you're weird, and just say "Sure, you can do that..." :confused: Today she snapped at one of my best friends who was giving everyone around the table very nice hugs (from behind, but that's because we were sitting in a round booth) and she snapped at him, then proceeded to make a post on Facebook about when she says not to be touched, do NOT touch her. Which is ironic because when we were dating I basically had to pry her off with a crowbar. :dry:

Should I just TELL them next time that they are being rude to my friends, they are being offensive, please leave? They don't HAVE to sit with us, but they come over anyway and completely ignore everyone else. Should I just ignore them back?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you hang out with these people again?

...and don't steal someone else's fries. That's rude. When somebody steals my fries, I stab them with my fork.

Lex

3. Noir

Because they got attached to me at the beginning of the year when I was dating her (before we got to properly know each other as friends, thus why I broke up with her), but they don't really know anyone else to hang out with. I was really really worried for them earlier in the year too because they would ONLY want to spend time with me from the time I woke up to the time I convinced them I needed sleep. They figured after me and each other, they didn't need to branch out and make friends with anyone else. If my friends or my sister tried to start up a friendly conversation with them, they kept it short, blunt, and uninviting for conversation.

Thankfully, I was able to put my foot down and have a mature break up conversation with her, so we're still friends. But now they will just come over and meet up with my friends at lunch, invited or not, but they simply won't talk to anyone else.

(And I know I shouldn't, but I was really curious to see what he would do!! He's rude enough to me, he can part with a few of his fries as opposed to a bitching out. I don't believe in bitching people out--it's distasteful)

4. Sounds like 6th grade for me. I moved to a new school and the popular kids kind of sucked me into their group. For a few weeks it was great. I got to know everyone, they made me feel very welcome, and they kind of helped me around and get my bearings. But then they pretty much stopped talking to me and after awhile I got up and sat with a guy I knew from class that seemed pretty cool. After that, I made a lot of other friends I wouldn't have made if I'd continued to be shielded by the popular kids, and I found one of my best friends in the guy I sat next to and started to talk to.

Long story short, don't be afraid to branch out and meet new people. It may seem daunting, but theres plenty of ways to do it and you never know who could meet.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then if they act rude, call them out on it. "Look, if you're going to come sit here with us, you're going to have to act better tan this."

Lex