1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother might disown me...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tsuki, Mar 4, 2013.

1. tsuki

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi there. I'm Tsuki. I've had this gut feeling that I'm bisexual since I was a teenager, but now, at the age of 22 I've started to accept it and not feel ashamed of it.

Having said that I have a mother who, while is not religious, is extremely homophobic and makes derogatory remarks all day every day whenever the subject of homosexuals or bisexuals is broached.

We have an amazing relationship and I can tell her just about anything...except this.

When I was around 17 I tried to approach the subject with her tactfully but quickly got a "It's just a phase, you just like her as a good friend is all," and it was dropped completely from her memory after that.

Now I know for sure it isn't a phase and I really want to tell my mother, and possibly my very close cousin that I am attracted to females as well as males. My cousin may be worse than my mom though, he's extremely religious and views homosexuality as a disease.

Really conflicted here. Any advice? All is welcome! :slight_smile:

#1 tsuki, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    im in the same boat...

only my best friend and his girl friend know about me...

i believe that sometimes you need to wait for a bit and assess the situation...

im 26 and my old lady and i are really tight but i cant tell her coz it would break her heart... and i dont think i could do that to her...

i may be bias, but not everyone can come out to their loved ones... no matter how much we love them... and its all coz of different situations... if you do decide to, i suggest you have a back up plan in case it doesnt go well...Coming out is a really big thing for us and so you need to take a realistic approach to it and not an emotional approach coz sometimes it doesnt always go in our favour....

good luck and hope you find some sort of Peace...

3. nohander

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you are still dependant on your family, financially or otherwise, than I would certainly wait until you can support yourself before doing anything.

Just to put a bit of perspective on things though, it's not the case that you are doing anything to her or being selfish etc by coming out to her. All you are doing is wanting to be open and honest about who you are with the people close to you.

If anybody is selfish or putting somebody out in this context, it's a person who would rather hold on to their prejudices than to see their loved on happy. If any parent or family member would prefer you to remain closeted or to live a life that made you unhappy rather than accept you for who you are, it's them that's being selfish or that is putting their own wants ahead of your needs.

4. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

My mom is also very homo/biphobic, I tried to tell her once also and she had a really bad reaction. I still love her but I realized that if my mom is just gonna be like that that she doesn't deserve to know. If your mom is like that then just don't tell her.