1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkwardness around an ex

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Daydreamer1, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might be answering my own question, but I'm wondering when to expect the awkwardness between myself and an ex of mine to pass. I'm going to apologize ahead of time if anything sounds funny or off. It's really early in the morning and I haven't slept all day.

I won't discuss how we met because it really doesn't matter. But we dated for what seemed like a short time when we were in say the 10th grade or so, but we decided it would be best to stay friends, which we still are thankfully. However sometime after we broke up I started re-discovering myself and began doing what I could to come to terms with being trans. That in of itself makes hanging out sometimes weird because of the whole "he knew me when I was a girl" thing, excluding the previous relationship ordeal.

I remember two occasions where it was sort of brought up and I can only describe it as feeling...awkward. One of them was where he told me his brother (one of the few people I'm pretty much out to) flipped out on him for using my birth name, when I'm going to assume he didn't know about it completely. Again, awkward. All I can remember from the other was how he said he found it interesting how many of his exs were along the spectrum (like bi girls and such). Again, awkward because of the whole...trans kid dated a cis straight dude..thing.

Ugh, basically I'm just wondering when to expect the weird awkwardness to pass. Maybe I'm just making things worse by overthinking unless this is a normal thing. Thanks if anyone has advice for this obviously confused kiddo. :lol:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say it will wear off when you get more used to it. Both of those "awkward" situations aren't really all that awkward in the grand scheme, I don't think. A cis dating a(n eventual) trans happens a lot, as does a straight marrying a(n eventual) gay. In a sense, it's really not that different from a standard straight relationship that doesn't work. "We thought we were compatible, and it ends up we weren't." Seen from that vantage point, there's less to feel awkward about.

Lex

3. BiWidow

I don't have experience with coming out to a guy after dating him. I can relate to the awkwardness of trying to be friends with a guy after the relationship ends. I felt so awkward and sad that the relationship ended. With time, it gets easier to see him and talk to him. Maybe you could reassure him that discovering your gender identity has nothing to do with anything he did, if that sounds appropriate.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I'm a socially awkward panda, so that's affects my general thought process.