1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on finding new friends??

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by artsyfartsy, Mar 7, 2013.

1. artsyfartsy

I don't have that many gay friends. I just have one in fact and I don't even know him too well. I just want to have some friends that are similar to me so that I can have someone to relate to. Any advice on how to meet new people??

2. Hysteria

Well, the easiest and most obvious way is to just come out entirely, that way any other gay people that are in a similar situation to yours will probably want to befriend you. Or if you don't want to come out, you could try talking to people that you suspect may be gay. Try talking to them about current LGBT equality issues or just any current news that relates to LGBT, if the person is supportive of it then perhaps you could come out to them and that may encourage them to do the same. If they despise the topic or make little comment about it then the chances are they're not gay and in that case you're wasting your time with them, unless of course you want to befriend them anyway as there's no harm in making more friends.

Also, if there are LGBT groups or clubs that meet regularly then you could join one of those and you'd be bound to find some gay people to talk with. Not sure if you're still at school or not, but there's still plenty of opportunity to meet someone that you can related to.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

LGBT groups/clubs are always your best bet. I only had a few gay friends before I joined mine, and now I have a lot of contacts and can name a decent number of LGBT'ers. There's also meetup groups you could check out for your area and see if there's anything LGBT related, or perhaps go to pride when the opportunity comes.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depending on where you are in southern California, this might actually be fairly easy. If you're anywhere near LA, just type "gay southern california (activity)" into Google. That activity can be anything you're interested in - biking, volleyball, volunteering, bowling. There are usually a lot of gay leagues and groups out there you can join.

Lex