1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neighbor help

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. lman

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have these fairly new neighbors that have moved in. Well I should probably say neighbor. Anyway I'm pretty sure he is gay, and his friend is almost always over(I see his car parked on the street) I've only seen them in person a hand few of times but they are really attractive, and fit.

I really want to talk to them, and maybe they could serve as somebody I could confide in or just talk to. I'm kinda really desperate because I don't have a person for that. I just keep everything to myself. I think it would be a decent idea because they are gay and have had to go through the same thing. So I guess my question is should I do it, and how should I go about it without anybody finding out?

2. Dalmatian

Keep in mind that maybe they'd not feel very comfortable going into very intimate conversations with you, seeing that you are 16 and not out to your parents and they are your parents' neighbours as well. I mean, ok, it's not like you should avoid them. Just, try to look at this from their point of view as well.

Obviously, before anything else, you should make sure these people are trustworthy, not just in keeping secrets, but in general. You don't know anything about them.

3. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, I would agree with Dalmatian especially considering your age. You should wait until they have introduced themselves as gay and even then I think you should just use them to gauge your parent’s reaction to the gay community and use them as a discussion point.

I am a lot older than you, 53, and it took me several years to pluck up the courage to talk to my next-door neighbours who had told me they were gay several years ago. My main concern was that I did not want to put them in an awkward situation since they knew my wife. Although you are not married they still may feel it is an awkward situation with you being so young.

If they are openly gay, when you feel ready to come out to your parents then it’s possible that they may be willing to give your parents advice in helping them come to terms with you coming out. I think then at that point it would be suitable, if the gay guys are willing and with your parent’s knowledge, for you to talk with them about your sexuality.

I don’t have any kids but if I did I would not be happy with my 16yo son hanging round with some older gay guys, I would imagine your parents may feel the same. So I would not wreck this chance of having future allies and supporters my charging in too soon.

Sale Gay Guy

#3 SaleGayGuy, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. lman

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the advice. Although I don't plan to tell my parents about my sexuality anytime time soon, if ever. Maybe I'll just let it go, it'd be awkward for me to even approach them.