1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 'best friend'

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JustMe2602, Mar 14, 2013.

1. JustMe2602

I don't know what to do.

I've known my best friend for over 11 (maybe 12) years. We met in kindergarten. So we have known eachother for a pretty long time and we have been best friends all that time.

But we go to different high schools, I barely talk to her anymore. She can never hang out or something. I see her like once a month (sometimes even once in 2 months). Also when I talk to her, she always wants to talk about herself and it seems like she doesn't even care about my problems and it just annoys me.

I even told my psychologist this story and she was like ''Why is she still even your best friend?''

But when I do talk to her, she says that ''We are still best friends'' and stuff like that.
    And it's not like I can just say ''Oh, I don't think this is working out. Let's not be friends anymore.'' We have known eachother like forever. I just feel so bad.

What should I do? Cause now we're friends but we barely communicate and I feel bad. I don't even feel like her friend anymore.
    And if I tell her that our friendship is over, she will be upset, i will be upset and probably regretting it. And I will have lost a important person in my life. Even though we never talk, I don't want her to be mad at me. But keeping her as a 'friend' also won't make me feel better.

2. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    If u initiate the conversations, don't anymore. Let her "prove" you still are friends.

3. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to learn that there are other ways to let a friendship fizzle out than directly telling her that the friendship is over.

If you barely communicate as it is, then it makes sense to try to communicate even less. As Dakine said, don't bother initiating conversations with her. Let her be the one to contact you, all the time.

And when she is the one to contact you, take some time before you get back to her and keep your communication brief. Come up with reasonable excuses as to why you can't meet up with her. Maybe meet up once in a blue moon, just so you don't seem odd.

But that is the most important part: you need to perfect doing this without seeming like you are deliberately letting the friendship fizzle out. You don't need to seem odd!