1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pflag

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kenaz, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all,

I would just like to bring up the topic of the importance of understanding that when we come out, it's not just us, but our parents and friends as well. I was so busy worrying about myself (and this is not a negative thing, very natural) in the equation of coming out and my fear of rejection and such that now after I have come out and things are normalized again, I am able to realize just how much of an effect this has on everyone else in our lives.

It wasn't until a recent visit to a local PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) how important it was for parents and close friends to have someone they can talk to as well. It effects their own lives extensively and the same issues we face as LGBT effects our social circle as a result as well. It's healthy, like we have a source of support and acceptance, that they have a place they can explore their own experience as well, with others who can relate.

On a side note, I really recommend you locate a local chapter and check it out. I experienced some great healing and ideas of how I can focus on ensuring my own parents and friends are doing OK since my coming out, now that I am OK. :slight_smile:

Thoughts or similar experiences?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Kenaz for this very useful post!

You are absolutely right, we need to respect those to whom we come out to, they also will have to struggle with the facts and it is crucial that they also get the support they need.