1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why be in a relationship at all?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by greatwhale, Mar 17, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have asked myself several times why one should be in a relationship at all...they are so often troubling, the highs are as intense as the lows...they are so...unpredictable!

Well this article really lays it out for you and it resonates with a lot of things in life, the very essence of relationships and the things that provide the most happiness is that very unpredictability!

Better Together: Why Relationships Make Us Happy - Personalities & Perspectives - Four Seasons Magazine

I hate predictability and routine, just my nature, but the absence of the "accident" is a sad life indeed...Fleming would never have discovered penicillin if he kept his office neat and tidy, organized and predictable if you will. That single microscopic mold spore just wafted into his office from the floor below - and changed the world!

But there was another ingredient, he was looking for something that would kill bacteria, but he had no idea what it would be.

Pasteur once said: "Chance favours the prepared mind". I think this applies to relationships as well, in this case the prepared mind or person (same thing) is in making oneself as self-assured and attractive as possible (that is all you can really control anyway) and then to venture out there, and let happy accidents happen - the very source of "happiness" which itself is always a kind of "accident"...

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Further to the above...I had a dream last night. I was with a boyfriend and he suddenly held my hand in public, I remember being surprised and delighted....Imagine that, my own subconscious surprising me!

3. AloneAsian

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you for the article! I would like to add that like the quote in your signature suggests, relationships can lead to a sort of spiritual connection that transcends the "intensity" of the real world.