1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family and Religion

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chierro, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Touchy subject much? I don't care, let's talk.

So I believe in evolution, touchy subject for religion right? I believe in creation of the universe billions upon billions of years ago. Do I think that parts of the Bible could've happened? Sure, perfectly possible. But I don't think believing in evolution should make you not believe in God. All my sister does is yell at me whenever the topic of evolution is brought up. Sorry I believe in something logical?

I'm just so sick of religion clouding people's minds. I know CATHOLICS who are more open about things, CATHOLICS! I personally like the viewpoint of my friend Sarah's mom, "Sarah, you can bring home a boy that worships the god of cabbage, I don't care. Just as long as he's not a Republican, I'm fine." She had me dying in Trig when Sarah told me this. But seriously, some of my friends who are Catholics are much more open than my family. And we go to a, supposedly, liberal church. For example, my friend Matt is probably one of my most helpful friends when it comes to me being bi. He still makes a homophobic here and there though. But I let it slide.

I'm just so sick of my family, mainly my sister, shooting me down every time I say I believe in evolution. It's viable. Completely viable. But nope. There's also the fact that the Bible says that everything started only a couple thousand years ago...as opposed to millions and billions of years that ACTUALLY happened.

2. castle walls

I completely agree with you. Evolution and a belief in God are not mutually exclusive. I'm not sure why everyone says that it is. It is possible to believe in God but not have a strict literal interpretation of the Bible. When I tell people that I accept evolution and believe in God, it tends to be a shocker

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So God is too dumb to come up with a self organizing pattern that is adaptive?

4. Dalmatian

Instead of an answer, lemme quote some people who are generally seen as more or less experts on this issue :grin:

Anyway, read on this. You will find it very interesting, your sister maybe as well :wink:

5. MapleCross

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am with the two Popes quoted above. I believe in evolution, but even more I believe that the Bible has to be interpreted and never taken as a literal document. I am not going into the full argument about this as people much better qualified than I am have answered this question. The creation account is a story with a truth behind it. It is not literal scientific fact but rather a story to point out that behind all things is the en seen mover that we call God.