1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difficult relationship situation...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by adant, Mar 19, 2013.

1. adant

adant Guest

Hi all,

So I'm in a bit of a tough situation. I've been privately dating this guy for several months now, and only one or two other people know. He's 17 years my senior, met me when I was a minor, was the guy who "helped me come out" per se, and is soon to be my employer. (Not to mention that he's the same gender as I am, which enough people have an issue with already.) So I'm kind of breaking all the rules here. :dry:

The thing is, neither of us ever expected to wind up in a relationship. Neither of us was looking for it. It fell into our laps. We both started realizing that we had feelings for each other long after we first met, but he didn't want to tell me because he didn't think I'd be interested in someone so much older. I eventually told him how I felt because I just couldn't keep it bottled up any longer.

He's very well-known and respected as he is in charge of an LGBT organization. He's spent a long time building up his reputation, and many people look up to him and rely on him for support. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that or get people talking badly about him or fabricating stories for gossip (he's not a pedophile for heaven's sake, and he's not favoring me at work :bang: ).

And it's not as if I can change any of these things. I'm going to be moving out of my parents' house and living on my own going to work for his organization. I can't not do that, because I've been going insane living at my parents', and the organization considers me a valuable asset already only working part-time. Without the job, I can't move out. And obviously I can't change the circumstances in regard to how we met or the age difference.

I just don't know what to do. I'm so scared. I love this guy with all my heart, and when I'm with him, none of what I've written above even matters. Nothing else matters when I'm with him. He's everything I've ever wanted in a guy, and I could honestly see us living together for the rest of our lives. (Sorry if that paragraph was littered with clichés, but it's true.)

I have practically no one to talk to about this, and I hate bringing it up with him because it's so stressful for us and I feel like I probably need some outside advice.

I don't know what to do. Breaking up isn't an option. Quitting my job isn't an option at this point. But I don't want to forever ruin his reputation just because stupid people start rumors and gossip that's not true just because it makes for a good story.

I just don't know what to do... :cry:

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    people will always talk, I advice caution, but you have to make your own decisions because people with talk either way.