1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does my Mum keep on telling me to "Keep my options open"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

I am gay, out the closet and have an awesome boyfriend.

When I told my mum in conversation that I have a boyfriend she said "Thats nice, but keep your option open" and then decided to mention some dumb valentines card I sent to a girl when I was 12/13 (Literally 10 years ago) .

Is this normal? Mum was very supportive of me when I first came out

2. Niko

She's probably just hoping whatever you're going through is a "phase". A lot of parents do that, even accepting/supportive ones.

3. thekspot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well it is normal for your mother to be hopeful that you will have a girlfriend. My mother is the same way. It can be a bit annoying to deal with. You might need to remind her in a friendly way, that you and girls are never gonna happen.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not gay, but I can relate - it's really annoying to me when people tell me I 'just haven't met the right guy'. I mean, it's possible I'm demisexual (many demisexuals think they're asexual before they fall in love) but I'm probably not. And I'm fine with that.

5. Rebellion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's the very same my parents told me when I came out to them, they said literally that I had no experience with relationships and that I should stay open to girls too if it happened I'd fall for one, this created me a real big confusion that I've sorted out recently mostly thanks to this forum, stay firm and don't let your mother's statement mess with your mind, she should eventually understand that you're gay and that you don't want the "other option".