1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different paces

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jacket, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Jacket

I recently started seeing someone over the last few weeks. We seem to get on well and enjoy each others company but recently it's become apparent that we move forwards in relationships at entirely different paces.

He wants to move quite quickly while I'd rather move slowly and just gently see how things go between us. We both have our reasons for how we are but when I tried to explain my feelings he didn't seem to understand.

I'm not really sure what to do or how I can explain things to him. He essentially took my attempt to explain as a round about way of saying I want to break up, which I said it wasn't and that I just wanted to talk about it.

I'm not sure how to explain any better to him, or if I will just end up hurting him and destroying things.

Thanks

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I think in these kind of circumstances, you have to meet your boyfriend somewhere in between. The initial stages of relationship generally have both parties outside of their comfort zone. Very few relationships just work right off the bat.

So maybe that will mean that you have to move a bit quicker than you like and he might have to move a bit slower that he likes.

With regards to the whole "is he breaking up with me?" thing, I just send him a light-hearted text, saying something along the lines of the following:

"No, I definitely don't want to break up! :slight_smile: I'm just not used to moving so quickly so maybe we both have to change our pace a little bit XD"

I don't know whether this is your kind-of style of text, but something along those lines should work.