1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online dating/telling them you like them-asking someone out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by stumble along, Mar 21, 2013.

1. stumble along

Hey guys, I'm using the magic of the internet to meet other gay/bi/queer guys and I'm talking to.one riht now and he seems pretty cool.
    I know on these things that its supposed to be taken granted that when someone messages you they are interested in you in a kind of dating way, but I don't want to jump to.conclusions so how can I do that?
    And before I get to the date part which is getting a little ahead of myself, I have some small issues with him.
    1. He'd be the first person I ever go out with...
    2. Hes 22 and as of now I think theres a disconnect between me just getting into college and him just graduating college/drinking/starting life.
    3. He says he is 6' tall on his profile, idk if its true since people like to smudge on those things, but if it is, I'm 5'8" at least, is that too much of a heiht difference that I'd be passed on?

Now my other question is what would make a good first date?
    Holy crap I think this is my shortest thread post ever

2. AKTodd

If you're using a dating site or chat room or the like to communicate, it's definitely on the table. If it's just a general discussion board or focused on something else (gaming for example) then the chance of it being date focused is much smaller and you'll probably need to actually get to the point of asking him out. What form that might take is mentioned below...

1. Well, somebody has to be...

2. Hrm. Based on past experience, I predict this question will get multiple answers split between 'age is but a number' and 'you're too different, forget it'. I tend to fall into the former camp and consider your age difference to be trivial (my partner and I have a 13yr age difference). I would suggest that it is more important that you determine your similarities and differences and overall compatibility. You may find that you just don't fit together or that your differences complement each other in lots of ways. Or some mix of the two that is still superseded by your feelings for each other (my partner and I have very different tastes in lots of areas (music, movies, reading, etc.) but also fit together really well and share similar tastes in lots of areas (some music, some movies, etc.).

All this said, you're currently just contemplating a first date. I'd suggest that determining if you both will even want a second one is probably a more immediate concern than how or how well you would fit together as a couple in an ongoing relationship.

3) Depends - Considering the shorter guy (that would be you), some guys really like being held by someone larger than them or being able to lean on their man without knocking them over (assuming he's not tall but very thin and lightly built and therefore would still be knocked over). Other guys may be bothered by feeling like they are at the bottom of well or something. Considering the taller guy - When I was in college/in my early 20s, I was as likely (sometimes more likely depending on my mood) to be attracted to a good looking shorter guy as a guy my height or taller (I'm just a bit under 6ft). For the most part I tended to consider the 'total package' of the way a guy looked and presented himself vs only one specific feature like height (and it's been said that differences in height become pretty irrelevant when you're both lying down anyway :grin:). Ultimately, it's going to come down to his personal tastes and how well you both hit it off (which brings us back to this being a whole first date thing where these sorts of issues start being addressed on both sides).

Hm. Traditional - dinner and a movie

Slightly less traditional - coffee or lunch followed (or preceded) by something like a visit to a zoo or museum.

Maybe some sort of concert in the park or the like if you have access to those and you both like the same entertainment (actually for any of the above you probably need to discuss this since entertainment is going to be coming into it).

Some less advisable options:

The gym, paintball, or other activity in which you are in competition, either as a team or against each other. This can lead to emotions running high and not in a good way.

For a first date, you want someplace public.

My 2c worth,

Todd

3. stumble along

It runs very much like those apps on smartphones, they are deemed "social networks" but for the most part the real reason is for dating/hook ups

the options you can list on your profile range from dating to relationships and friends, most people have them all ticked, he is no exception

very true

my thinking exactly, my only concern which shouldnt be a concern is what would my parents think, with me just coming out and now im in something with a 22 year old guy as my first time but im getting ahead of myself

I...dont think that I would be able to sit through that, no, no, no and definitely not
    I think this is perfect considering what we have mentioned in conversation, if only there was a good either of those around

again very true and also viable options, will discuss this if the chance arises

we both workout but i use my parents home gym and he goes to the public gym. I'd love to try paintball and dont get mad easily so if i take some shots he can make it up to me later. he did mention he liked hiking, and i dont mind that at all, save the mosquitoes.

will do cap'n

now how do i go about seeing if this guy is interested at all? and then subsequently planning a date? the latter might have to happen later since i will be back in school on sunday afternoon, but if i can score a date you bet ill be back the following weekend with a cleared schedule.

#3 stumble along, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. AKTodd

Ok, so dating is apparently an option he's willing to consider, at least in principle. Just to clarify things here: You're actually working toward asking him out on a date vs. having already established that the two of you would like to go out on a date, yes?

Hmm. So what I'm hearing here is a definite maybe:grin:

So, what do you have in your area? What sort of cultural or social things are there where you live or within reasonable traveling distance?

Note that even coffee and a nice pastry or the like can make a nice first date. Or maybe a walk in the park afterward? Do they have parks where you live? The main point is seeing what resources you have available and then making use of them:slight_smile:

If you both like paintball and both have the personality to make it work, then that might be an option. Hiking potentially runs afoul of the whole public space/first date thing, although I realize that in some places the hiking trails or areas are practically crawling with people.

Note that paintball may be lots of fun, but probably less opportunity for talking/getting to know each other. Although if you have things scheduled so there's time for that before/after that might not be an issue. Hiking should allow for both talking and activity.

How about just asking him if he'd like to get together for coffee/lunch/whatever? Your first post seemed to imply that you were already getting along pretty good.

For that matter have you actually spoken to him at this point (like a phone call/skype/hearing his voice)? I realize that I'm quite possibly simply revealing my age with this question and that text only communication may be perfectly fine with both of you:slight_smile:

Given where it now sounds where you're at with this (and after thinking about it a bit), something relatively low key and potentially short (in case you decide things aren't working out) but with the option of being longer might be good. Coffee/lunch might be a good start with no scheduled anything after, but with some ideas in your mind if the issue of 'what do we do next?' comes up. That runs you 30min to an hour if you just order/talk/eat and then want to end things there. If you don't, then you could potentially go for a walk or just keep working through coffee refills and dessert or something and keep getting to know each other.

On a couple of final notes (since the forum kind of ate parts of your reply):

Being taller than you might make some guys try for a more dominant role. But its certainly not a given. He could just as easily be a really easygoing guy who is fine with 'going along with whatever' or be into a situation where you are both equal partners. Re the top thing, I once saw a 6'4'' guy lament "I have a prostate too, you know." Meaning that just because a guy is bigger than you doesn't mean he wouldn't be perfectly fine (or even thrilled) to take a more receptive role in that area if things get that far (at least sometimes, reciprocity is always good) .

I totally understand the whole overplanning thing. One of my mottos in life is that spontaneity requires weeks of careful planning. But as you say, this tends to break down when other people get involved. So maybe just try to relax and enjoy his company...

Hope this helps,

Todd:slight_smile:

5. Ianthe

I think it would be best to have an activity planned with him in advance, rather than coffee and then no specific plan after. Coffee with no specific plan after might be read as a hookup rather than a real date. If you have social, semi-romantic plans, it is more obviously a "first date" rather than a one-time hookup.

On the first date, see what his post-college plans are, and find out if your lives are in a similar enough place for you to date. When you are with him, do you feel like an equal? Or does it feel imbalanced? I don't think 18 and 22 is automatically a problem. It only might be a problem.

6. stumble along

Yes I am working towards asking him out on a date

Haha very funny, I know there has to be something around here other than that dumb aquarium (its no good I swear, I love fish but I hate the aquarium near here) park wise I know there's one nearby,.I guess your standard park, big green space with a trail outlining it, kinda small.

Hiking would definitely be a nice past the second kind of date, and there's lots of trails where i go to college and probably around here.

And no I have yet to hear his voice but maybe a Skype call is in order, and while we do get along and we're both really nice to one another I have a feeling he's a bit bad at texting haha. The first day it was a little awkward but we got comfortable enough with each other that we started typing out 'hahas' and 'lol' and kinda dropped the big worded / one word responses. Second day he started everything off with a good morning and we talked through the afternoon and things kinda dropped off at night, I left my number for him and he texted me for a while. I didn't text him yesterday to give him a bit of a break from the questions and talking (me too, I like talking to people and accidentally plowing through all the topics much faster than normal) so ill try talking to him today and see.

And i mean this is all speculation right now, just because we click doesn't mean much.

7. stumble along

I guess I should clarify what my immediate question is, i just want to ask how I can ask him out on a date but still have the chance of being friends? The more we chat the more stuff we have in common