1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I'm the only one on the planet

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Darkru, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Darkru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, well here goes. I am a 17 year old living in a rural city in Australia. It has taken a lot of courage for me to face my sexuality and to tell my friends about it. My friends accept me for who I am, which is good, but I'm also feeling really lost. I feel really upset and lonely a lot of the time and I don't really know why. I mean, my friends support me and are all there for me, yet I suppose I don't feel like it's enough. I feel like I'm all alone in this world. T
    his is probably partially because I don't feel especially close to any of my friends. They're really supportive and great, but I honestly could walk away from them tomorrow and not really be upset. We just don't click. It's been like this for the last year and a half since I moved here and I just feel so lost. I tried to contact the local gay youth group, but they've recently shut down and now I truly feel horrible. What's worse is that my family are really religious so I can't come out to them. I feel like I just want to have good friends that I can connect with, but what can I do? Being so conservative and rural where I live it's also really hard for me to meet anyone who is gay. There are two people at school that are gay, but they're just idiots who flaunt it and push people around. I just feel so lonely and confused and angry all the time. It's just so hard to keep up the act of being straight and never being able to flirt or laugh or have a relationship with any guy. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do?

2. nyc

nyc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds exactly like me! I'm 17 and the same situation, I don't have much advice because I'm the same but I just wanted you to know your not the only one feeling like this and you have places like this to come to if you want advice so your not alone x

3. falsereading

falsereading Guest

very similar to me, most of my friends are straight males and I have never ever truly had one I could consider a friend that I could ring at all hours of the day or tell absolutely everything to and I consider that to be because of having a large friend group and naturally they have different interests (beer, women and football and I am only interested in one thing on that list, the first thing).

You will find someone that you will just click with and be able to talk with more and more, cliche but I became really close to a mates girlfriend and she was the first one I came out to.

Relationships come from anywhere and I can't imagine how difficult it would be in rural places, whats your school/college/work situation like? Any hope of moving out even if just sharing a house with someone? A bit of freedom from the parents can help.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Darkru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, no, there isn't much I can do. I mean, I have issues with my father and all we do is fight, which doesn't help, so I think moving out would be good, but I can't really. I want to go to uni next year but I want to move to Brisbane or Sydney, a capital city, so that I can kinda connect and try and fit in.
    The problem is that I've already had arguments with my parents because they don't want me to move away. They just want me to go to the uni in the town I live in. It's only a tiny uni, but my parents just say that then I won't have to worry about uni debt. My parents think everything is fine, that I have great friends and are just a quiet guy, but in truth I feel so lonely and don't really have many close friends. Don't worry about being stereotypical btw, most of my friends are girls, but that's just because I don't really like football, a sport that is super popular here.
    It just sucks that I can't do anything! My parents are driving me up the wall. If they knew I was gay I don't know what they'd do. I just feel like I'm so alone and yeah, like I'm being smothered by this small town mentality. Everyone expects me to go to uni, get a good job and get married and never leave. The problem is that I'm not that person at all. I went on holidays to Europe and now I dream of going to live there myself and exploring the world and most of all, escaping my parents. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like I'll even be able to leave :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2013 at 05:49 PM ----------

Thanks. I'm a bit of a mess at the moment. A random question, but I know they're in the process of allowing same sex marriage in the UK. Is there a lot of discrimination in the UK like there is in Australia?

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

Thanks for the link. That does remind me of myself.

6. nyc

nyc

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile:, dont worry i think we all go through it:slight_smile: its just been leagalized, of what ive read and seen more people are happy about it. i dont take attention to the negative. everyone i know was really happy x