1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice please?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AyaLou, Mar 22, 2013.

1. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This isn't really LGBT related, but I was wondering if any of you would have some advice on how I could get my best friend to visit me? She lives about an hour away in the next county over and we just really want to meet up.

We're having trouble convincing our parents because we're anxious about it and don't really know how to ask and they might be a bit uncomfortable with the fact that we met over tumblr. We know that we are our respective ages and that we're both safe etc. from doing skype calls and writing letters and such.

We've been really close for ages now and she's sort of my rock and helped me through loads of stuff in the past year, even though that might seem a bit odd. It would mean the world if she could come here for a bit.

Thanks in advance :kiss:

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that's a hard one. Have you told your parents at all about her?

It's kind of awkward if you've got to this stage after a year, and you haven't mentioned her to your parents. What you might have to do is tell them that you've been talking to someone for the "past few weeks" and that you're getting on really well, and leave it go another few weeks, mentioning her every so often and then gradually building on it. She should do the same.

I don't think they would like it if you tell them that you've been friends with her for a year — immediately they'll realise you've been keeping things from them, and they'll be very, very slow to trust you (and her).

But if they are aware of her, you need to be a bit more open. Maybe you could introduce the idea of meeting her in person by saying that you're sad she lives so far away, as if you think you'll never get to meet her. When you then tell them where she lives, they'll think you're being naïve and will talk about how it actually is possible. You can then proceed to get excited, etc.

So how you'll bring it up depends on how much your parents now about your friend, but don't directly bring it up, but indirectly mention meeting in person.

3. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No, we've mentioned each other to our parents so that shouldn't be too much of a problem :slight_smile:

I'll try those out, thank you! :grin:

4. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's good! Let me know how it works out, I'd really like to know.