1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Really Alone In a Group of Friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ailurophile, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Ailurophile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Growing up I had no real friends, so I really do appreciate the friends I have made in college. However, earlier in the year my so-called best friend from last year outed me to 3 of the friends I made this year. The complicated part of this is that they all deny that he said anything about my being gay. I was very aware of the several times he mentioned it to them and it made me extremely uncomfortable. He knew that I was not ready to come out yet, but he still did these things. I was not close enough with these 3 girls yet to talk to them about it, so I wasn't even sure if they knew or didn't realize from the things he was saying. It was a really uncomfortable period in my life. I felt like I had no control. I ended up talking to him about it and he basically yelled at me. So I ended that friendship, which is something I should have done a lone time ago. He was constantly putting me down.

More to the point, last night one of the three friends got sassy with me when I told her that if he was coming to watch a movie with us that I was going to leave. She got kind of mean about it. I left for a few minutes to get my head on straight and when I came back she said that she was sorry, but that she didn't understand why I was upset with him. I have tried explaining it to them, but they don't understand me. They say that they never heard him say anything about me being gay and therefore I shouldn't be upset about it. Other things have happened as well, but this is the main thing for me. Everyone takes his side. One of the three girls started dating him (there's lots of drama to go along with that) and things have happened so that we are not friends anymore. So basically, I feel like I cannot talk to anyone about this. I'm not out to my family, so I don't even have them to talk to.

I'm just really down in the dumps right now and I don't feel like being around people who don't even understand why I'm upset. How could I possibly make them understand how I'm feeling?

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait, let's just get this straight: how are you so sure he did out you to your three friends, if he denies it, and your friends deny it?

If you are certain and they're all lying to your face, I think you should just recognise that they're not really your friends. But instead out cutting them out completely, you'll have to be clever. Recognise that you need some people in your life and that they can come in handy every so often when you're bored and stuff. But you'll know that they're not really your friends and you can't trust them. Yet, it's a terrible idea to decide to cut them if you've got no-one else to fall back on. That will just be lonely.

And you need to get out there and make some new friends. Is there an LGBT society in your college? Surely there must be LGBT groups in your near vicinity. You need to go out there and make some sort of an effort.

And while joining an LGBT group is bar far the best thing you could do, there are definitely other social groups you could join that aren't so LGBT-focused.

The short of it is that you need to recognise that these guys aren't really your friends. But I've noticed that the most successful people know this, yet they don't bother cutting people out of their lives. They use them when it comes in handy to keep them occupied. And you need to learn how to do this, while making new — good — friends along the way.

3. I feel for you. My cousin outed me to my mom after I had told her in strict confidence. When my mom confronted me I denied it, I wasn't ready. Then my cousin got really pissed at me for denying it.
    Loads of people will never understand the nagging doubts,uncertainty and fear of venturing out of the closet.
    I'm so sorry tornado go through that.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2013 at 10:34 PM ----------

You had to, no tornado. Sorry, auto correct.

4. Ailurophile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He did not deny it and he was not sorry for it when I confronted him about it and said that I wasn't ready for that yet. He was saying these things in front of my face. For instance, "but you don't like guys" when we were with a group of people.
    I appreciate the last thing you said, about people keeping other people around to keep them occupied. Although, I don't think I'm one of those people. I've realized that I much rather just be by myself than be around people who make me uncomfortable.

I'm sorry you had to go through that too, FeministFemme87. I can't even imagine being outed to a parent.

5. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Try talking to them... make them see your point somehow...
    feeling alone is the worst thing ever, and even not trusting them from now on (at least not right now), it is not good to make them choose between you two (you may end looking bad) or staying alone.
    But try making new friends, people just like you, so you can find people who really understands you and respect you for who you are.
    Hope it helps!

6. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then get new friends. But until you do, become one of these people for a short while. I'm definitely not one of those people either. Trust me, I'm not. But I've noticed that the happiest people tend to be, and I've taken a few pages from their book and used it a bit myself. And it works.

But the moral of the story is this: get new friends. And until you do get new friends, it's quite OK to keep these assholes around so you don't completely die of boredom, while deep down you know what they truly are.