1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please..? I think my brother may be gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kb13, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Kb13

I have thought that he is for a long time. I totally support him if he is. Phase or not, Ill always be there for him. He's almost 16 btw.
    He hasn't told me yet, but he kind of did. He made this Facebook group about being gay and not alone and he invited me to it. I looked through the wall of posts and he wrote one saying that he's gay and proud of who he is. I think he knew I would see it, maybe that's why he invited me in the first place..? I just want advice of whether I should tell him that I saw what he wrote, or should I let him tell me face-to-face?

2. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Awww, you sound like a great brother! :slight_smile: Your brother is lucky to have you.

It seems to me like the Facebook group was his way of telling you he's gay without having to say anything face-to-face in an awkward conversation. In fact, it sounds like exactly the sort of thing I would do!

So, if I were him, I would want my brother to explicitly say that he loves me and accepts me. It doesn't have to be a big heartfelt conversation if neither of you are up to it, but it really means a lot to know for sure that you're accepted. If you ignore it completely, he'll either think that a) you're cool with it but think it might be awkward bring it up out of nowhere (totally reasonable, pretty positive response) or b) that you just want to ignore the subject entirely because you don't like it, or him being gay makes you uncomfortable.

Just give him a hug and let him know you're there for him. That's all it takes.

Thanks for being such a good brother!

3. Ianthe

Comment on his post that you found and tell him that you are proud of him and you love him. Since he did it through Facebook, you may as well respond in the logical way.

EDIT: Your brother is definitely gay, that is not ambiguous, that is him coming out. :slight_smile:

4. The Dude

First of all, you are up there with one of the chillest brothers ever. Both of mine told me if/when I need to come out, they'll be cool. I awkwardly deflected them, and now wish I hadn't.

If I were you, I'd tell your brother something along the lines of that you love him, and want whats best for him. Tell him if he ever needs to tell you something or has something he needs to talk about, that you're there for him. Make it apparent you're cool and willing to talk. Your bro might be embarrassed or ashamed. Maybe he's being bullied. Hopefully none of those things, but if it is any of those, then a cool older brother is the best thing for him. Maybe even hint at it, something like "been looking at any girls lately". If he says no, say "what about guys". I don't know if that works for you, but its an idea.

I am the youngest of three brothers and we all have great relationships. Reach out to him.

Again, way to look after your younger bro. He'll love you for it, trust me. Even if he seems to reject it at first, he appreciates it.

5. WorldsCollided

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Ianthe's idea plus putting it in words might be easier in a way. There will be a point where you and him will sit face to face and talk and I'm sure he will feel so lucky to have a brother like you =).

6. Dalmatian

If he's prepared to say openly and directly on Facebook that he is gay, then he probably is :slight_smile: Also, sending you the invitation was his move and now it's time for yours. Waiting for him to come out face to face could now be seen as you ignoring him and, what's worse, maybe because you don't approve, are disappointed or something as heartbreaking. Since you do approve and love him still, show him that. Like his comment in that group. Also, go give him a crushing hug :slight_smile:

Afterwards please, oh please, come back here and tell us about it! We love success stories :slight_smile: We need them.

And above all, you are a great brother and a great person :thumbsup: Btw, if you don't mind telling, how old are you?

#6 Dalmatian, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  7. Kb13

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Just to set one thing straight, im his sister. The thing up there may say male, but i didnt bother to change it lol. I txtd him last night and told him that his group is pretty great and 'I just wanted to tell you that I love you and want whats best for you. if you ever need to tell me something or have something you need to talk about, that im there for you. Always.' Then he txtd back and said 'yah I think I should give u a visit tomorrow.' I asked if he wanted to go for a walk today, but then he stopped txting. I also told him that im proud of him on the FB post. I don't want him to feel like I'm bombarding him or something. What do I do now?
    Ps. I'm 23. He's quite younger than me lol

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2013 at 04:54 PM ----------

Re: Advice please..? I think my brother may be gay
    Thank you all for your helpful advice. Just to set one thing straight, im his sister. The thing up there may say male, but i didnt bother to change it lol. I txtd him last night and told him that his group is pretty great and 'I just wanted to tell you that I love you and want whats best for you. if you ever need to tell me something or have something you need to talk about, that im there for you. Always.' Then he txtd back and said 'yah I think I should give u a visit tomorrow.' I asked if he wanted to go for a walk today, but then he stopped txting. I also told him that im proud of him on the FB post. I don't want him to feel like I'm bombarding him or something. What do I do now?
    Ps. I'm 23. He's quite younger than me lol

8. Kb13

9. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, sorry for the mix-up. I think we all saw the "Male" thing and assumed. :wink: Well, in any case you are a wonderful sister and he's lucky to have you. I think you did exactly the right thing; you responded to his fb post by saying you were proud of him, you let him know that you're always gonna be there for him if he ever needs to talk... the ball is in his court now.

Best of luck!

10. BlackSwan

Personally, if my sisters knew..I'd like them to talk to me directly..maybe even ask :dry:
    But I think you did the right thing... :slight_smile: I agree he's very lucky to have you..