1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to differentiate between...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BudderMC, Mar 23, 2013.

1. BudderMC

...being attracted to someone and wanting to be more like someone?

Serious question. I've been debating this for a while now and I'm still not sure what the answer is, and it's confusing the hell out of me.

2. Kyubi

indeed...I'd also like to know hahahaha. It's a very thin line apart or just difficult to word. My mind doesn't even want to go there lol.

3. Mysz

Good question! Perhaps you could try to imagine kissing whoever you're confused about, holding their hand. If you're friends, give them a hug and see how that feels. Rather obvious advice, but hey, sometimes you go too deep into something and you never find the answer because it was right at the start.

4. Wolfie Charm

If I like someone I do random things to please them or otherwise entertain them. I copy them (usually unconsciously) if I want to be more like them. Does that help?

5. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, when I want to be with someone I want to spend lots of time around her, get to know all her favorite things, see her smile, etc. I suppose that's being attracted to her. I feel no desire to dress or act like her, just be around her.

When I want to be someone, I try to emulate their style or mannerisms, stuff like that. I find myself wondering who their hairdresser is and where they shop, because I fancy their look, or if they're an adventurous person I think how nice it would be to be able to get up and go like they do. That sort of thing.

6. kingzap321

to me, the difference is that the attraction normally has a sexual component to it, where as wanting to be like someone there is more of a idolization part to it. but other than that there is sometimes a mixture of both where you are attracted to a point of where you want to be with that person and you want to be more like them and the features that made you attracted to them. =] anyway hope this helps and good luck to you man. =]

7. Dalmatian

This troubles me as well. It's impossible to me to say whether I'm attracted to someone sexually. I guess this is a problem that comes from the lack of experience. I've already misunderstood my own feelings in the past. In some cases, when I was crazy about someone, it turned out to be just a deep admiration.

To the best of what I learned so far, it seems to me that when it's only admiration, I feel their superiority and all I want is for them to respect me. Which fails miserably because there's a logical fallacy in there somewhere. On the other hand, when I'm actually attracted to someone, I see myself as their equal and I want to help and care as much as be helped and cared for. Basically, my dreams over the first type are those of greatness, power, something I feel I lack; with the second type, it's closeness, calmness and warmth. It took me far too much time to realize the first type is a false target.

8. BudderMC

Hmm. Second question then: does wanting to be more like someone invalidate some of the feelings you have for them?

9. Dalmatian

To my mind it unfortunately does. Or, better said, it doesn't invalidate the intensity of these feelings, since they are often overwhelming, but it does invalidate their nature. Wanting to be like someone seems to me as a somewhat unhealthy relationship. It is less a romantic situation and more one of a younger child being impressed by his big brother.

10. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fuck, that is exactly one of the questions I'm having right now...!

See, I feel attracted to as well guys as girls, but to females it feels... different. And now I'm thinking that I might as well be 'attracted' to guys because I want to be like them (as I 'fall in love with' the type of guy that I would like to see myself as as well). Also the sight of a penis doesn't really do much to me except make me think "Holy shit! Is THAT supposed to go IN me?" *shudder*
    So I'm not entirely certain whether I'm bisexual, or lesbian or straight (straight because I technically FEEL like a guy, lesbian because I AM a girl. I would say... straight (or bisexual, maybe) male, though)

I am really inexperienced in anything 'love' related though... so it's so hard to tell.

11. Stripe101

For a while, I thought my gay tendencies were just me being jealous of hot guys. Then I realized I was wrong when I had the urge to make out with them

12. BudderMC

^ well, the thing is I'm very clear that I'm gay. I'm more than plenty sexually attracted to guys. Though I went through what you described when I was coming to terms with it, so I know what you mean.

My confusion is with my long-time friend/ex-crush/crush. I'm fairly confident that I don't have any real feelings for him. But at the same time, he's certainly attractive and I realize that I admire him for a whole lot of other aspects (i.e. his intelligence, drive, etc.). I figured if I could separate "attraction" from "admiration" it might help me sort out these feelings and help with the feeling that I'm being awkward around him, as of the last couple of days.