1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel bad about being gay :/

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by orangeyskies, Mar 24, 2013.

1. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All my life I knew I liked girls at least a little, so that's nothing new to me. But telling my parents was really hard, especially because they still don't believe me.

A lot of the shows I watched growing up had gay characters in them, because they made me feel more normal. The problem with that was my dad watched them too, leading him to think that I'm gay because of those characters. He always says he thinks there are "more gay people now" because of television and people wanting attention. I wish I didn't have to potentially serve as proof for him.

My mom doesn't think I'm gay. She says a lot of girls who like guys my age and even older aren't very fond of male genitals. I wish I could tell her it's not just that, I just would much rather only be with girls for a variety of reasons.

I feel like I'm letting society down a little, you know?

:icon_sad:

2. Mysz

Relax- think of being gay as helping society! The world's overcrowded- let the number of couples having their own kids thin out :thumbsup: Good job for helping make the world a better place, lol!
    If your mom just thinks it's because of your age, then let her think that-it's harmless, and sooner or later she will have to accept it when you don't bring home a boyfriend.
    Free hug! (*hug*) Don't feel bad about it. It's great to have grown up knowing your orientation. Go to a pride parade if you're still iffy about it, and see all the craziness that happens :grin:

3. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have almost the same feeling (of letting society down...).
    All my friends are straight and I never had any mannerisms so when we first meet, people just don't know I am gay. So this makes me want really bad not being gay, but I won't force myself to change (so that is not happening). I think this is the worst feeling, and I hope that when I come out of the closet it will fade away...
    The only advice I can give you is to try not thinking about it, the society and some of the family values are only here to condemn everyone who is against them. Be sure of what you want and don't back down, one day your parents will stop living in denial and accept you for who you are.
    In my whole life I was always really decided and convict of what i thought, so when I told my mom she just heard and accepted me.
    Hope it helps a little, but you are not alone :slight_smile:

4. Naomilly92

I had the same feeling for a while. And then I realised there's more to society than I thought, there's a community, of gay people, who aren't so prejudice and judging, this society is for LGB people. As for letting down society, as you learn to become familiar with other societies and communities, you begin to care less about people's opinions