1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel so hurt and broken. what do i do?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by billsmith, Mar 24, 2013.

1. billsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So this will be a long story and I'm so sorry, but i'm hurting sooo bad right now...so if you have a few minutes read it, please.

I'm a 34yo male and have been in relationships with women all of my life. I had always been curious about being with a guy, but didn't actually experiment with this until 6 years ago. I met a guy that was 8 years younger than me...he was 21 and I was 28. What started out as just experimenting sexually turned into so much more. We began hanging out and really began to fall in love with each other. He was in the same situation as me and in the closet. About two years ago, he wanted more. He came out to some close friends and family...all of whom were welcoming with open arms. After doing so, and gaining some comfort being out, he began to ask me when I was going to make the step so we could actually have a real life together. We never went out in public. With the amount of love I have for him, I knew it would happen eventually. However, it was way, way more difficult for me. I have no idea why, but I was so embarrassed about it. I felt as though my guy friends would shun me, my parents would be disappointed...etc. I know that it was more of a personal barrier and none of that would have actually happened. I knew in my heart that coming out was the right thing to do. I love him so deeply that it could have been the right thing to do.

The biggest mistake that I have ever made in my life was procrastinating for so long. Also, as this was a personal barrier for me, there were times that I would push him away by not answering texts and sometimes going three days at a time without contacting him. This hurt him so badly and deeply. I have no idea why I did this. I knew it hurt him and yet I knew I loved him so insanely much. Now, I guess it was just something that my mind was subconsciously making me do in order to not have to cope with being gay. I'm so confused about this. It was so wrong, why did I do it?? I'm sure he was asking himself why the person who says he loves him so much is so standoffish. I have no idea why. I love him and always have with every fiber of my being. I've been in love before, but this was different. It was stronger and way deeper than ever before. When I pictured the future at any point, he was by my side. It was so wrong of me. This pain that I have caused him along with the fact that I wasn't fully ready to come out had apparently eaten away at what we were and could have been. I promised him so many times that I would welcome him into my life and that eventually we'd move somewhere awesome. I took way too long.

About three weeks ago, I knew something was wrong with him. It was almost as though he was looking at me differently and acting mad. Well, he came to me and said that he's moving and he planed on doing so withing the next month. We both just held each other and cried. I couldn't believe it. We didn't talk for a few very, very rough days. I texted him and he just asked for some of his stuff that was left at my house. I begged him for another chance. That night, he was with one of his best friends (who I hadn't met because I was such an ass). The phone rang and saw it was him so I answered. It was his friend calling me asking why I would never meet her. I obviously had no excuse or reason because if you're with some for 6 years, you should meet their friends. She invited me over. I immediately went over. I think they were both surprised that I actually went over. She said, "see, i'm not a murderer or a scary person!" He used the bathroom and while she and I were alone, she told me that I was going to lose him and that I needed to do something big to keep him. She went to bed and he and I talked. He agreed to give me one last chance.

I promised him that there wasn't going to be any more messing around and that I would immediately change. I did. The past two weeks were great. I came out to one of my close friends at work. It felt absolutely AMAZING! It was like, why the hell didn't I do this sooner??? She was shocked (because apparently she says i'm very masculine and would have never known), but she was so happy that I told her. We had our first date. We went out to dinner. Again, amazing. It was all so liberating. In the past two weeks, I have been on cloud 9....thinking about the amazing adventure I was about to have with the person I love and have deeply loved for the past 6 years...in public without worry. I was so excited to introduce him to everyone. He's awesome and hands down the most amazing person I have ever met. I was so proud to finally be able to come to terms with my personal barriers to be able to do this. The thoughts I had were so exciting and amazing. The vacations we'd take (we both love to travel abroad). The friends we'd have together. The life that we both always wanted. The thoughs of living in Spain with him someday. It was all finally going to happen. It was going to be an amazing journey with an amazing person. He spent nearly every single night with me during those two weeks. It was amazing. I was finally ready to let it all happen and was planning to ask him to move in in the coming weeks. Although I didn't think it would have been possible, the love that I had for grew even more. He and our lives were the only thing on my mind. It felt so great. It was like, Finally!!! Life can begin!

Apparently he was feeling differently. What I have done to him had really taken it's tole. I think he tried to make it work for the past two weeks, but his feelings for me were tarnished. Again, I noticed something was off with him. I asked him if he was still in with 100% and he said that he wasn't. He said how great the past two weeks have been, but apparently it was too little too late. I asked him if was one of those situations where you only want what you can't have. He said it wasn't. I told how sorry I was and that partially shunning was sooo wrong of me. I am so regretful about that. He said he was ready to move on. He said that if I had taken this step about 6 months ago (when he began having ill feelings), this wouldn't have happened. He also feels like I have settled in the city in which I live. I told him we'd move someday...but right now, it's not financially feasible. He told me how much he loved me and as I sat there sobbing how bad he felt for making me feel this way. However, this is how I think I made him feel for 6 years, so maybe I had it coming. He said in the future, he imagines us running into each other and being together, but right now it has to end. We hugged and cried for about an hour. both of our shirts were soaked with tears and he left.

I am so broken right now. I did this to myself. I know. I just wish I could rewind time and do things the right way. The kind of love that we had is rare and doesn't happen everyday. We both felt this for each other. It hurts so bad that his feelings toward me have been tainted. He begged for me for so long and I procrastinated and procrastinated. Now i'm so ready to completely give myself to him and he doesn't want it. Now what could have been such an amazing thing, may never happen. I can't stop crying...and i'm not one to cry. I feel like part of my soul and life is missing. This is so damned hard.

What should I do? Should I just let him go? Should I fight? Do you think his feeling have already been ruined beyond repair? I mean, it was six years on profound, mutual love. A kidn of love that a lot of people spend their lives in search of. He is only 26, do you think he's just young and this was bound to happen anyway?

Sorry this was as long as War and Peace.

#1 billsmith, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. asmith6543

I think he's justified for his actions. Your actions were really off putting. Not responding for three days? There is nothing to suggest from what you told us that he would have done this anyways. I think he proved that in the six years. I'm just curious, when you would ignore him for three days, didn't you think that it would end up like this? Your actions speak louder than your late words, although you explained it to him why.

I do feel bad for you because I do see why it was hard from you, but I also see his side as being equally as valid.

Keep us updated if anything else happens.

3. AKTodd

Hey man. Ouch. I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. (*hug*)

I don't know that you'll find my advice all that helpful, but here goes...

It seems to me your options are as follows:

a) Do nothing - he goes out of your life and you lose him. Ok, his idea of the two of you eventually running into each other and getting back together makes for a great Lifetime movie (if Lifetime did gay movies), but frankly is highly unlikely in the real world.

b) You fight to get him back - this will either succeed or fail but there is more of a chance of you getting him back then if you do nothing (in which case your chance is effectively zero).

Realize that 'getting him back' (assuming you go for option b), may not be either an immediate thing or look like what you really want right now. It may mean that he goes and lives his life somewhere else for a while (including possibly sleeping with other guys), but maintaining contact with you so you can work to get back together again. It may mean some time apart and only texting, or phone calls, or being able to go visit him sometimes during that time apart. But maybe that will give you both time to work through your issues and get back together.

Realize that he's probably feeling both the hurt that you mention, but also maybe that he sort of wasted his life during some chunk of your years together when he wanted to be out and move forward and you didn't. That feeling (if I'm on base with this) may be driving him to want to 'have a life on his own' for a while. So again, he may want some time apart no matter what.

He may (at some level) also want you to demonstrate that you are willing to take action for him without having to be threatened with losing him to get you to act. Something you may want to spend some time thinking about, both in terms of what you can do along those lines and just on general principles.

Sorry if that all sounds harsh and probably not what you want to hear. But there it is.

The fact that you were *both* bawling your eyes out when he left is probably better than if he just walked out of your life with his head held high or while pissed off at you after a shouting match or the like. So maybe some hope there. Maybe a good bit if I let myself be optimistic about it.

I guess I'd say that I can't see that you have anything to lose by not trying to get him back. But you're going to have to be flexible (maybe sometimes in ways that hurt, but may hurt less than losing him completely).

Sorry I can't be more positive than this:frowning2:

I really really hope you can win him back. I like to think there's still a chance. But it's going to be tough and it may take a while.

If you want/need to talk some more as this progresses, the folks here at EC are a great group and are always happy to listen.

Best wishes and take care, (&&&)

Todd

4. billsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks Todd. I know I really messed up. I made all this happen. I do think that he feels that he lost a chunk of his life. It's a chunk I'm willing to make up to him in spades. However, being together for ever was something that we've always talked about. It's just that he was in the closet for years with me so I thought he understood how I felt. At this point, I'm willing to be out to everyone..friends, family...fully. I know it took way, way too long. It was so wrong of me to let it get this far. You're correct. I have a better chance of keeping him (albeit slim) if I fight and reach out to him.

I know I probably sound like a total ass for treating him like that. However, I'm genuinely a nice person, so I can't explain my actions. I guess I was just rationalizing it in my head that I wasn't gay. It was almost a subconscious thing for which i have no explanation. It was like I was pushing him away to maybe avoid the love. So funny how it's totally different now that I'm willing to accept who i am. I want to love him. I want to be with him constantly. I want the life that we've always wanted. I really messed up.

5. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know how hard it is to get out of the closet... I am trying to do it, but I just can't...
    In my opinion you should fight to get him back... I wouldn't make a fool of myself trying to make some big romantic gestures, but just try talking to him, maintain contact, be his best friend...
    Maybe with the time he will see how much he misses you, and that he need you as much as you need him. The time is the best medicine.
    Hope everything turns out alright my friend.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :cry: Wow. I just wanna say your story really hit home. I feel like right now I'm doing exactly what you did for all those years. I've never thought about the consequences. God, this nearly made me cry, just thinking about what if the same thing happens to me. So I just want you to know, even though you may feel it's too late for you, you really, really helped me realize something by sharing this. Thank you.

Now as for you, I agree 100% with Todd. You have absolutely nothing to lose, so go for it. Try everything in your power to get him back. This is one of those moments where years from now you'll look back and either say "I'm so glad I did it," or say "what if..." It sounds like he still loves you just as much as you love him, he just needs 6 years worth of reassurance.

I really hope it works out for you.

Best of luck (*hug*)

7. AKTodd

Coming out of the closet can sometimes have emotional similarities to being 'born again' I suspect. Once you've done it, you want everyone else to as well. Think about how you've described your feelings when you started coming out. If the roles had been reversed and it had been you who made the decision to come out first and you were feeling like that, how would you have felt about his continuing to remain in the closet?
    At the very least, you might have suddenly found it hard to empathize with his reluctance when everything in you was metaphorically yelling 'come on in (or out actually)! The waters fine!'.

Agreed. You need to start giving some thought to that. You're sounding a bit 'better' in this post (insofar as anyone sounds like anything in a purely text based medium) but I'm confident you're still an emotional wreck right now. If at all possible (and I know this won't be easy) you need to try to calm down and either get some sleep (depending on what time it is wherever you are on the planet) or start thinking about ways to fix this. Figure that you're an emotional wreck so your initial ideas aren't likely to be great and need to be re-examined after you've had time to regroup a bit. If at all possible, I would suggest calling in sick tomorrow. Unless you can compartmentalize to a superhuman degree, I don't expect you're going to get much sleep tonight nor are you going to be good for much tomorrow.

I gotta admit man, the whole cutting off all communication for days at a time really doesn't earn you any brownie points in the sympathy dept. You didn't say how often you pulled that sort of crap, but a lot of guys would have walked out of your life forever after the first time. That he didn't says a lot about his feelings right there.

Regardless of how this turns out, you have GOT to swear an oath to yourself that you will NEVER treat someone like that again. Ever. Under any circumstances. Because that just isn't cool. Ok, consider that my one and only round of yelling at you. Moving forward I'll aim to be more productive.

I would say the main driving force was probably fear. I wish I could say that you're unique in that regard, but unfortunately you're not. I haven't been on EC long, but in the time I have been here I've seen more fear leading to pain, and fear leading to people making really bad choices than I thought was possible. Fear of rejection, of ridicule, of no longer being the person you always thought you were, fear of change, just generalized undirected fear. All over who we are attracted to and who we love and how it might upset other peoples idea of how the world should work. Bah :bang:

It sounds like you've started letting go of that fear, which is a good thing. Because sacrificing your happiness for the sake of the emotional complacency of a bunch of strangers (aka 'society) seems like an awful way to spend ones time.

Yes, you really messed up. When one messes up, the next obvious step is to try to fix it. To apologize. To make it better if you can. Not just for the sake of getting him back, but because you messed up and hurt someone (someone you love) and making it better is the right thing to do. So rest up as much as you can, start thinking how to do that, and then start to try to make it happen.

I've got to get to bed soon, but will be checking this thread as time permits. If you want to talk some more I'm happy to do so. Odds are some other EC folks will be weighing in as well as time goes on and will also have thoughts and ideas to share.

Take care,

Todd

8. alexher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow first if all I'm really sorry for what your going through. But reading your post has made me think about my current relationship. I actually accepted this wasn't going away 8 months ago. It has been a hard thing to do. Since I'm pretty much mourning the life that I thought I was supposed to have (straight life) anyways I found this amazing guy.. someone I really never thought existed. And he is so freaking understanding. We are both still in the closet but he had other relationships before I met him, unlike me since he is my first relationship ever. I know he loves me as much as I love him but I'm so scared that he will get tired of my insecurities and fears. Something interesting to mention is that he is younger than me .. I'm 26 and he is 21. But not that I'm immature but somehow it feels like I'm the youngest one. Maybe because I have no experience at all in all this. And thanks to him I have grown and changed much. I'm extremely happy with him.. our relationship feels like we met before in the past and we just found each other again. We are so much alike. But I'm so scared of losing him. Because sometimes I feel like I hurt him with my behaviors .. for example he is super romantic and I love that about him .. but as a romantic person he is always trying to give me gifts that I can't accept since I'm still in the closet and I live with my family and actually depend on them since I'm trying to finish school. Like he is always trying to give me flowers .. and the last thing he tried to give me was a gigantic stuffed animal. And I have to tell him no on those gifts.. he didn't get mad but I'm pretty sure it hurts him. And I hate doing that. I guess I think too much on what other people might think of me. I really want to change but idk how. I don't wanna lose him .. so far he has been super mega understanding. But I know I cant keep pushing my luck. Anyways, all I wanted to say is I'm so sorry man. If I were you I would fight for him. But once again only you can decide that since you actually know him . Best of lucks!

9. billsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks again todd for the reassurance and support. I really appreciate it. I know I need to be yelled at for what I have done. It's correct in saying that most men would have walked out a long time ago. But he didn't. So I just hope that there's just some small part of him that will allow me to make up for what I've done. He's always been about moving away somewhere. Again, something that has been postponed. At this point, I'd be willing to do anything he wants me to. he says he never wanted to or meant to change me or for me to feel forced. I can't tell him enough how much i'd be willing to to do anything to keep him in my life....i'd move to china tomorrow if he wanted. wherever. I am going to fight with all that I have for him. And I do know him. I know for a fact that he loves me. That love was damaged, but I don't think it it's impossible for it to be found again...if he let's himself find it. He's tired off the bull. He's jaded. I've done it. A person can only take so much.

As for those of you that can identify with my story first hand, I hope you can see what can happen if you're in the same situation. Don't be foolish with love. If you have it, don't push it away. I pushed the most important person in my life away and it is as AWFUL as I've ever felt like this in my life. God, I wish I wouldn't have f'd this up.

10. asmith6543

I think you need to have a good talk with him. I can sense that he will see the new side of you, willing to go where your previous self wouldn't.

11. billsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    And also, it's not just like i'm losing my boyfriend, I'm losing my best friend. I know. booo hoo hoo. i'm sorry.

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2013 at 07:52 PM ----------

I tried so hard today to contact him. I texted him. like 10 times and wrote him a very explicit email detailing what i'm willing to do to keep him. All the things that i'm willing to do immediately and not wait another year. Right now. I want the life we always talked and dreamed about so badly.

I hope he realized that this IS the NEW me....the me that he always wanted. The old me is gone forever.

but he hasn't replied to any of them...which hurts so bad.

I really appreciate this site being here, btw. It seems to be my only source to vent. And it's not even like I could talk w/ any of my friends about this because, so sadly and regrettably, no one knows about him....except the one who I came out to...who is out of town right now.

#11 billsmith, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    keep posting, keep yourself here for the time being, you need to be listened to and we are here for that.

As for your boyfriend, I agree with the others who answered, he just may need some time to think things through, especially about what it is that the loves about you (most likely the good qualities of you, which means you also need to know what those qualities are, and give him more of it!)