1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my homophobic friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Glosoli, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Glosoli

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I entered university this year, first weeks were amazing, especially remembering psychology lesson when we divided into groups and asked each other everything we want(one girl asked if anyone is against one sex relationship, and everyone said that kind of relationships is totally ok!). After that I felt really happy not to be among homophobes anymore(lots of kids in school were). But then sh*t happen(again): I paired with the girl, who become my best friend(we shared the same problems, we got the same sense of humor...). But eventually i discovered that she's the a total opposite of me! What I like-she doesn't, she's the biggest homophobe I've ever meet, and it really f***g bothers me, we got fights over it every day, and I remember she asked: 'why you so For them??' Like she wanted to embarrass me with what I am one of them!(she doesn't know what i'm bi btw).
    So, the problem is, I just can't end with her, because we must see each other at university every day.... Ah...I can't be without her(cause I've got no one else now) and she's too...I just neeed a little support, cause I'm dying from lack of understanding, loneliness and stupidity of others

#1 Glosoli, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. LD579

I'm assuming that school started for you in September? That would mean you're almost done your first standard year (2 semesters) of university, if my assumption's correct. It's much too early to say that you 'have no one else'.

Are you living on campus? If you have a roommate, that's an easy way to make friends and acquaintances. Surely you've talked to others besides this girl, as well. It's likely that many others are feeling, or have felt, the way you do right now, in terms of loneliness. With that said, if you tried to engage a classmate in idle chatter, it's likely they'd allow you to.

An easy way to start a conversation is to talk about your courses. If you overhear someone having difficulty with something, and you think you can help, or you're having a similar problem, it's easy to just go over and talk with them a bit. That's actually how I made my first friend in university!

In terms of the girl's homophobia, the sad thing is that prejudiced people are everywhere, and picking fights likely won't solve anything (I'm not saying that you pick fights, of course). It's possible that she hasn't been exposed to positive exposure of LGBT+ things. Many people change their minds about things once they see things for themselves. In this instance, if she sees that LGBT+ people aren't savage blood-sucking vampires, maybe she'll change her mind, but that change would probably be gradual.

3. BudderMC

Since you mentioned a psychology class, I'm going to assume that you're studying some sort of psychology, if only as electives. And if not, just read on and you'll learn something new. :slight_smile:

There's a phenomenon called "cognitive dissonance". Basically what it says is that when our actions don't match our beliefs, we experience a discomforting feeling called dissonance, and we have to change either our actions or beliefs so that they match up in order to alleviate the feeling. In this case, your friend both believes and acts upon (by telling you) that she doesn't like LGBT people.

Now, what happens if you were to come out to her? You'd question her opinion of LGBT people, since you're nice and her friend, but LGBT people are "bad" in some way. Despite her thinking that LGBT people are bad, she has acted opposite to that towards you (besides when you're arguing). This will cause her to experience dissonance, since her beliefs (LGBT = bad) do not match up with her actions (friend who is LGBT = good) anymore.

In alleviating dissonance, usually the person changes their beliefs because it's easier to do than changing your actions. Humans like to appear consistent by nature. She can't really "deny" to people that she's been nice to you, since well, she has been nice to you, and I'm sure there are plenty of tangible things to prove that. She can, however, change her beliefs, since who can really tell her what she's really thinking but her?

tl;dr That's a very long-winded way of saying that if you come out to her, there's a reasonable chance that she'd be accepting, unless she's really anti-LGBT.

Otherwise, I'd second what Luthan said. I'd wager you're uncomfortable with the idea of potentially losing your best friend (rightfully so). Could you start building up a support network of other people? Other friends/family you could come out to first?

4. Glosoli

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes, you right about semesters, and...maybe you right about what I can find a friend there a bit later... Things just now...really complicated. And I actually think that it would be easier for me to find a friend if she will be send down!(she didn't yet pass all the exams, so...) but in the other hand I don't want it, she's a good girl, but it feels like she's limiting me or something...not good. The thing is - she's also jealous of me sometimes, when I'm hanging out without her.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2013 at 04:49 AM ----------

I'm studying literature, but its pedagogical university, so I can be a literature teacher if I want:slight_smile: and Ive never heard of this kind of thing...thanks for teaching me:wink: I never had a girlfriend or anything...It's sad that I can't tell her how I fancy one girl in the group, and I remember she said like omg! You gay! Because I had a dream about Miranda Kerr! That's sad...Because she's telling about everyone she likes, and I just telling that I like no-one...

5. Glosoli

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She also likes one actor(he's gay, has kids) and today she said the reason he looks so yang and cool 'because has a another dick around him all the time' which is horrible thing to say, my heart just broken right now - so even her beloved actor cannot change her, and the million of my words too:frowning2: I just asked her not to say anti-gay things around me, she said 'fine' and get offended with me... O gosh, so childish

#5 Glosoli, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013