1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name change {irl}

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Evanescence, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Evanescence

I want to change my name irl (I know how to do it and I don't need parental consent due to my age :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) sometime this Summer, but I'm a bit err..... confused as to how my mum would react. I would completely ditch my first and last name - I don't like both names and I don't have that much desire to have any connections to my family due to loads of reasons.

I just dunno what to do if she flips out ?haha, it's not exactly a pleasant thing to basically imply "I don't like the name you gave me or the family name, I'm getting a new one without you."

--

I hope this is the rite forum to post in ;s

2. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If she gets mad, there's nothing you can do really. Just tell her before hand.

3. Live Love Smile

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What do you dislike about your name now? Do you already have a name in mind?

It really is your choice. She may have a hard time adjusting to your new name however.

I used to think I'd get a name change, but I'm fine sticking to the short form/nickname. Sometimes you just need to do whatever you need to do though.

4. Hexagon

You could just not tell her lol. If you aren't interested in much contact, then you could drift away, leaving her to assume you're fine with your name.

In all seriousness, just deal with it if it comes. She'll probably get over it, and its really a rather silly thing to hold a grudge about.

5. Couldn't agree more

6. Evanescence

I just reallyyy don't like the name in general, combined with the Spanish last name it's also just bizarre. I have a few forenames in mind and one surname yes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Rather true I suppose :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thanks for the help all that have answered.

7. Evanescence

am i allowed to bump old threads I'm not even sure. Anyway this was my thread:

Fast forward to now and she completely flipped out over it. She wants me to change it back within a month or she will kick me out (and trust me she doesn't joke about stuff like that - when she says kicked out she will mean it). I told her it's just a name, still blood related etc. She won't listen.

I don't know what to do... I'm not changing my name back it is entirely my choice... but I don't fancy being kicked out ergh sighs.

8. The Dude

Honestly I have no idea, but could you compromise on keeping your new first name and switching your last name? Figured my idea would at least bump the thread.

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might be slightly on the harsh side; but allow me to quote your first post:

So... if you really don't want any connections, then this might actually be for the better. It's kind of hard to have no connections if you're still planning on coming home for dinner and sleeping.

Truth be told, there's not much ways family members are going to take a complete name change, other than "I don't really want to be associated with you people anymore". That's hard to hear, especially from your own child. So, maybe she's freaking out over this more than she possibly could, but I'm not sure if there's any way you can still reconcile.

So if the name change is meant to signal a new beginning, then now might be the time to make one. It's a bit unfortunate it's on such short notice, but I think the best option here is to not wait until she kicks you out, but making headway on actively moving out.

10. Evanescence

That doesn't sound harsh it kinda makes more sense. I have wanted to move out for a while but I don't have any form of income/job, I don't have any other relatives who would let me stay with them etc. So I would essentially be moved onto the streets which I don't really fancy doing.