1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know my friend is gay, but he doesn't recognize it. How can I help?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by pgame311, Mar 25, 2013.

1. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, so given my bisexuality and personal history, my gaydar has proven pretty (80-90%) accurate. I have this friend who is effeminate (but not femme), extremely sensitive, and artistic. Plus, I've seen him looking through pictures of guys shirtless on Facebook and get noticeably turned on by/checking out men on more than one occasion. He's currently with a girl, but I overheard her say that there's an attraction that seems to be lacking in their relationship (she cheated on him, actually).

I'm not going to ever force anyone out of the closet, but he's been extremely anxious and borderline depressed recently, and I just want to help in any way I can. I know that maybe he might not be gay, but it's pretty obvious and beards, especially physical ones, are uncomfortable for everyone involved and those of us who have to watch someone struggle through them. How can I be a good friend, i.e. help him become more comfortable with himself but also not "out" him or betray/insult him? Should I just let things pan out? I feel weird about that when I know I could probably help...

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is a tough one, to be honest. I think the only thing you can do is talk about your own sexuality and bring up the topic of sexuality more often. Maybe comment on hot guys and things.

But other than that, I really think that this is something he has to come to terms with himself. There's not a whole lot you can do, other than recognise that he's having a hard time with this — which is obvious.

3. BudderMC

1) You seem to recognize this, but keep in mind you can't be sure he's gay or bi. If he is, he needs to come to terms with it himself. Riding on assumptions often leads to poor results; better safe than sorry.

2) Are you out to him?

4. Dalmatian

The obvious first question seems to be: does he know you are bi? If he doesn't, coming out to him would be a good first step. That would mean that if he's willing, you are probably a safe person to talk to. If he already knows about you, it's far more tricky. You can try to make yourself available to him, maybe talk about some guys you find attractive, basically playing around with that theme. However, that can easily turn to feel like you are coming on to him.

In the end, be aware that you must not push him. If he doesn't want to discuss or even think about this, that's his call. Also, you have no idea if there is something completely else in his life that's causing him to be distant, depressed or any of that other stuff.

---------- Post added 26th Mar 2013 at 12:38 AM ----------

Err.. I basically repeated what others already said. That's what happens when you open a thread and return to it after doing the dishes :slight_smile:

5. AKTodd

If he were 100% straight but 'extremely anxious and borderline depressed recently' how would you, as his friend, handle the situation? Assuming you had no idea what the issue might be (which is the approach you need to take at this point). Until and unless he comes out to you that would seem to be the approach to take.

Todd

6. photoguy93

He won't come out until he's good and ready. If he's open and you're out to him, then you could bring it up. But if he doesn't know, you could be kissing your friendship goodbye. If he's not able to confide in you, then you really can't do anything. It's a very tough situation but you don't want to lose him. So, just be his friend and make sure you know he's ok and that he knows you are there for him.

7. mojoe

This is pretty much spot on advice. I will just reiterate the fact that you could be kissing your friendship goodbye if you aren't careful, especially if he actually is gay/bi. I found myself in a somewhat similar situation quite recently. In my case, i had more actual emotions invested into it. Either way, my friendship quite literally exploded into a million pieces and ended with my friend trying his hardest to hurt me as much as he could(emotionally speaking). Funny thing is, after seeing my friends reaction, I now know for sure that he really is gay, even as fiercely as he denies it. Does me no good now, as all we feel is anger and hatred towards each other. For both your sake, just focus on being friends and being there for him if/when he needs you.

8. Darkru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with the last two comments. You have to be very careful when approaching the topic. I tried to talk to my friend about this very same situation and he just got all defensive and wouldn't talk to me all summer break. He wasn't a really close friend, but I felt sad because he needed someone's help and he wouldn't let me in. Just keep bringing up the topic of sexuality and keep telling him that he can trust you. I hope this helps.

9. Wardrobe93

I agree with AKTodd. I think if you act like you don't know what the problem is but know theres a problem and just keep poking at that and hopefully you'l get an answer, good luck.

PS wish i had a gaydar!`

10. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He doesn't know my sexuality as I've never actually hooked up with a guy, just had feelings for them. I do have some emotional attachment as is a close friend, he has asked me to lunch, looks for excuses to touch me (patting me on the back, etc), and is admittedly "my type." That said, I've only ever been with girls, and I'm not really out to anyone. I also want to keep his girlfriend in mind as her feelings are obviously just as important and one of the main reasons I posted this thread.

Also, as I said, I can't be sure, so I act as if he's straight and don't engage in conversations when people insinuate he might be something other than heterosexual, but it's just that. It's not only me. Many gay guys at my school think so, some of the girls he's hooked up with, and his roommates all talk about it. I only mention it here in anonymity because I want to help everyone involved and walk away with the least amount of hurt possible—even if that means taking a back seat... Now, second quick question(s). Have any of you been with girls who are gay, and what is your opinion on subconscious indicators of homosexuality? I'm just curious because I'm new to this (as far as the LGBTQ community is concerned), but seem to be able to tell most of the time when someone is attracted to the same sex, even if it is years down the road when they finally act on it.