1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Healthy bisexual relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JamesDE, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JamesDE

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was wondering if it was at all possible to be in a healthy relationship with a person of one sex without craving the affection of the other sex? This would of course lead to an unhappy sex life. Coming from a bisexual guy, I have moods where I am interested in girls and then the next day I feel more attracted to men.
    If you are in a good enough relationship will that be enough to counteract the part of you that wants the attention of both sexes?
    This type of thing just worries me and is probably what stops me from looking for a relationship from either sex. I don't even know which sex I prefer if it is at all possible to prefer one sex.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Is it possible to have a healthy relationship?

2. FruitFly

I was wondering if it was at all possible to be in a healthy relationship with a person of one sex without craving the affection of the other sex?
    That would depend on the individual. I, personally, do not crave the affection of certain sexes, I am just attracted to people. I crave the affections of the person I am attracted to.

This would of course lead to an unhappy sex life.
    It would if you are an individual who has active cravings that, should they not be indulged, leads to you becoming dissatisfied with the sexual aspect of the relationship.

Coming from a bisexual guy, I have moods where I am interested in girls and then the next day I feel more attracted to men.
    I think this is where there is a great deal of diversity amongst people identifying as bisexual. I, personally, do not go through those moods so my perspective is perhaps flawed.

If you are in a good enough relationship will that be enough to counteract the part of you that wants the attention of both sexes?
    Well... personally, and again I refer you to the fact I do not shift between being more attracted to women or men, I think the thing that counteracts any potential need for additional attention is that if I am involved in a monogamous relationship then I am involved in a monogamous relationship. If I find another person attractive then I find them attractive, and I may even be sexually attracted to them, but if I am in a monogamous relationship then I am in it for a particular reason. That reason being that regardless of my attraction to another I want to be with the person I'm in a relationship with more than I want to be involved in a sexual relationship with anyone else.

This type of thing just worries me and is probably what stops me from looking for a relationship from either sex. I don't even know which sex I prefer if it is at all possible to prefer one sex.
    Being a bit of an old fart, I'd say that it shouldn't stop you seeking a relationship if you want a relationship. Being the type of person I am I'd say that rather than focusing on gender focus on people you find attractive, whose company you enjoy, and go from there.

Is it possible to have a healthy relationship?
    It is perfectly possible. Be that as a monogamous relationship with someone you want to be with exclusively, or whether you enter a polygamous relationship with multiple exclusive partners, or an open relationship, or any sort of relationship dynamic that works for you and the other person.

If you do not want a serious relationship until you've had time to (safely) explore your sexuality a little more, then that's perfectly fine. If you do not, that's perfectly fine too.
    However for a relationship, or even a dalliance, to be healthy people have to be honest, they have to be honest and aware that whilst they have feelings once they're in a relationship they have to consider the feelings of their partner too. Respect is important, and making sure everyone is on the same page is important.

I'm rambling and making no sense, hopefully a better person shall come along and provide you with a succinct reply :icon_bigg.

3. im not bisexual but yes many people do have healthy happy relationships with one person. it doesnt mean they want two people at the same time if they are a monogamous bi.

if they are poly then thats a diff story they could have two people at the same time or w/e poly relationships are like.
    both are fine though.

you can be split 50/50 with your pref or you can lean more to one sex than the other. some days your attractions might flip. some days it might not, youre still young though your hormones/moods will be all over the place, that affects sexual attraction too. not saying you being bi is fake because it isnt, who youre attracted to is who youre attracted to but hormones do play a part in it at that age. you could be attracted to every single person you see one day, then not be interested in any one the next day you know?

thats the worst thing about puberty emotions e.t.c all over the place D:

4. boysdontcry

I'm going to answer this question assuming that you are not personally interested in polyamory.

Of course it is possible, and many bisexual people have perfectly healthy relationships. If you are in a healthy and loving relationship, you may still find other people attractive, but you don't necessarily have to be constantly attracted to them, if that makes sense. It's essentially the same as any homosexual or heterosexual person in a healthy loving relationship, they don't walk around and feel torn by attraction to the same/opposite gender. What you experience in fluctuating attraction is common and normal for bisexual/biromantic people. In the end, if you are attracted to one person, boy or girl, people of either gender won't affect that.

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How is that any different from a gay or heterosexual person being attracted to someone other than their partner?

6. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ Basicially this, however --
    I think it's somewhat different, because the sex you're not with might fulfill certain needs your partner can't. That doesn't mean you can't be happy in monogamy. Every commitment means not choosing something else - a boyfriend, a car, a job... I live in a house that isn't near many neighbors and I sometimes miss having people around like I did in my condo. That doesn't mean I'm not putting my full energy into my home.

For bisexuals who want "both" rather than "either", a less traditional lifestyle might be needed. Same for non-bisexuals who want variety.

I had the advantage of a brief het period and a moderately long lesbian period of my life before realizing I was bi, so I know what I'd be missing or not missing. Plus, I have some sexual activity outside of my primary relationship - not much, and I could live without it if my partner objected.

#6 Chloe, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  7. June Cleaver

Except the Bi person is attracted to the other gender too and their partner can't have both a VA-JJ and dick. So if you want to be in a healthy relationship you can. It is up to you to choose one or the other if you can. Only you will know when you meet that special person and weather that person will be enough for you. All I can say is we who are attracted to one sex only, have it easier somewhat. In my experience, relationships are full of challenges of one type or another.

I have had 2 relationships with Bi men. The first lasted 6 years and the second lasted 4.5 years. The first was my first love and he felt the need to have women as well throughout our relationship. The second was my last BF and he would get the woman urge about once a year, because I am trans he felt the need to be with gay men too and I would catch him every few months with one. The second was far from what I would think is normal. He had all sorts of issues with his sexuality.

I would say just go on some dates and enjoy yourself! Just go with the flow! June