1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it still wierd for a 22 year old to be in a relationship with a 34 year old?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Alot of my friends seem to have a problem with the age gap, but we don't let them get to us.

Why is it that an age gap is seen as wierd?

Does it really matter that a 22 year old guy has a thing for older guys? Its just gay guys my age just don't interest me

2. SpectreStatus

Age is just a number. You shouldn't listen to what other people think of your relationship.
    If they treat you right and make you happy that's all that matters :slight_smile:

3. Couldn't agree more, just do what you feel is right. :slight_smile:

4. AKTodd

My partner and I have a 13yr age difference and have been together for 16yrs. I'm the younger and met him when I was 27.

If you are compatible and are happy together and 'work' together as a couple then that's what should matter.

Todd

5. BudderMC

The caveat to age gaps in relationships is that oftentimes the parties are at different stages of their lives. For example, a 22 year old could be just coming out of university, whereas a 34 year old may have finally established his career. The 22 year old might want to feel some freedom before settling down, whereas the 34 year old might have already started settling down. The 22 year old might want to party a lot more, whereas the 34 year old may have other goal-oriented priorities.

You might question why you have a thing for guys significantly older than you though, since typically emotionally/socially/whatever-healthy people often go for people around their age/peer group. You might also question why a 34 year old can't find someone in his age/peer group to date.

Those are all stereotypes, of course, but I'm sure you get the idea. When stages of life (and consequently viewpoints) conflict, that's when a relationship will feel strain. But if you two are similar enough, there's potential for it to work.

6. Gen

Gen

No, its completely fine. Once you are 42 and he is 54 no one will think twice about it.

Its actually funny because even when I first read this, I thought "Wow thats a twelve year age difference o.o. I dont know......", and I think that is the usual reaction most people will have. Mainly because there are instances where age gaps have been taken advantage of for various reasons. I believe as a society we have just grown to always assume the negative.

7. Beware Of You

I guess why I dont like people in my age group is that they are obsessed with sex. I tried dating with a couple of them and they kept on referring to me as twinkie, grabbing my backside and trying to get me drunk.

I am sort of a big kid, while I do have a good job, I am professional and I am working on a Phd as well as training to be a flight instructor.

I dont know why he asked me out, he just said I am so incredible cute and he would like to get to know me. I think its because he wanted to see me as someone other than a pretty face. I have never asked him why he never goes out with people in his age group.

I guess you have a point about the healthy going for their own age group argument, I am not very emotionally healthy.

I think I just don't like partying and the things people my age are into. I am just weird

8. Rae

Rae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's kinda a big age difference but I don't think it really matters, though I have seen some relationships with a long distance where it didn't work. For example my sister being treated as a kid by her boyfriend. I think it takes some maturity and respect for each other,but I don't see anything wrong with it.

9. BudderMC

Doesn't him calling you cute say he wanted to see you because you were a pretty face?

10. Beware Of You

I guess, but he is the first guy who made an effort to see me as something apart from being a cute face.

The only guys just wanted to bed me immediately at least he made a effort

11. BudderMC

Predators also make an effort to "get to know someone" before getting them into bed.

(note: I'm not saying he is a predator, I'm just using a comparison to get my point across)

Anyways, I guess what I'm proposing is the fact that you're asking this question might mean you're uncomfortable idea. The question becomes: what about the idea are you uncomfortable with?

12. Beware Of You

Its other people who make me uncomfortable they are so judgmental

13. saggitarius91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw on a documentary or read somewhere that this is actually quite common amongst gay male couples. Something about the older gentleman being established and experienced and kind of leading the younger guy through all the obstacles. I think the only thing that matters is if you're okay with it and that you two love each other. Everybody say "LOVE!" :slight_smile: