1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of my mom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Inkeh, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Inkeh

Inkeh Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So today I changed my profile picture to the Human Rights Campaign sign to support overturning Prop 8 at the Supreme Court and my mom texted me about it saying how she doesn't believe gay marriage is right. I basically told her I believed it was and that we would have to agree to disagree.
    My mom was raised Catholic and has raised my whole family Catholic as well, and can be very controlling about it... I'm not out to my mom and I've never been very outspoken to my family about my personal opinions until now since I am more liberal and my family is very conservative.

So, this is basically the first time I've ever actually stood up to my mom and displayed a conflicting opinion. The reason why I've never really been outspoken is because I've always been afraid of my mom. I try my best to be a "good person" in her eyes and live up to her expectations, but with my conflicting views it seems like I'll probably always be a disappointment to her.

I'm just wondering, since this was my first time really standing up to her, how exactly do I keep standing my ground? Since this happened today I can't stop worrying about it and I just end up feeling down if she were to argue or yell at me about this in person. What are some ways I can just not worry and not be afraid of her when I have to face in her person with this issue?

2. Wolfie Charm

Great job standing up for your beliefs. I think the best way is to just repeat the agree to disagree if she comes on strong about it being “wrong.” If she continues you could tell her something like ‘everyone has their opinions and moral compass, and mine is unique to me. I believe in equal rights and wish you would respect that I am my own person.’ My two cents anyhow. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Best of luck!!

3. rmc

rmc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dude, I am not an Atheist (not that it is a bad thing), but I do know how religion sucks sometimes...
    Once I read an article about a woman priest who thought that being gay was a choice and it is a sin, but she started readding about the subjectand studying. In the end, she saw she was wrong and realised no one choose to be gay. But when you read her conclusion you just can't belive the way this people's mind works... she said that the fear and the oppression over the gays was the punishment for the sin of being gay ¬¬.
    Bottom line: I don't know if it is the case of your family or your mom, but sometimes it is really impossible to argue. Stand up for your opinions, but don't stress yourself alot with it, just show that you won't agree with her and that you can think for yourself... This is hard and terrible, I know, but that is how I would handle it.