1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversation between my dad and my brother about me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by justinf, Mar 27, 2013.

1. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother just showed me a conversation my dad and he had over the phone (Whatsapp):

Dad: Hey buddy, it’s dad [my dad doesn’t have a phone; he always uses my mom’s], i wanna talk to you about something but it has to stay between the two of us.

Bro: Okay, sure? What is it?

Dad: It’s about your brother. I’m worried about him.

Bro: Why?

Dad: He’s not been himself lately. Ever since he’s played for the other team he’s been acting differently. [Really? “Played for the other team?” How hard is it to say bi or gay or whatever?]

Bro: Well I guess that comes with the territory lol. Seriously, though, what do you want me to do about it?

Dad: I was hoping maybe you knew a little more, i know he talks to you. Is he seeing someone?

Bro: I don’t know. Why?

Dad: I just wanna make sure he’s okay. This whole confusion isn’t doing him any good.

Bro: I don’t think it’s the confusion... he’s just had a bad mood that’s all.

Dad: Well you can’t argue the fact that he’s been depressed ever since he got confused.

Bro: He just needs some time to figure himself out, don’t worry about it. He’ll be fine.

Dad: What he needs to figure out is what’s good for him in the long run.

Bro: What are you implying?

Dad: I just don’t want him to make the wrong decision. Can you understand that?

Bro: And what would be the wrong decision?

Dad: It would just be better for him to focus on his future instead of focusing on thoughts that can't make him happy.

Bro: Dad, I don’t feel comfortable talking about this with you behind his back. We both know what this is about. I support Justin in who he is or thinks to be, I suggest you do the same. Of course he’s changed, it’s probably all been hard on him... That doesn’t mean it was the wrong decision, though.

Dad: Alright, well we can agree to disagree then. You can’t blame me for not wanting to lose my son.

Bro: I don’t see how this is losing him

Dad: Well of course you don’t, you’re just as deluded as he is. [WOW!? That escalated fast, where did that happen!? Plus.. ouch! :icon_sad:]

Bro: Ok, dad... I don’t wanna fight with you, but you’re being a jerk. Get over yourself. If you have a problem with anything Justin is or does, talk to him, not me. But I’ll be on his side, not yours.

Dad: Ok. I’m sorry if i made it sound like i wanted you to pick a side, but i guess you did. But i’m not gonna watch my son destroy his life. And i’m disappointed you can’t see that.

Bro: Dad, like I said, I don’t wanna fight. We can just disagree.

Dad: Alright, we’ll do just that then. I’m off to bed now. Goodnight, son. (and please keep this to yourself.)

Bro: Night. Tell mom I said hi :slight_smile:

Dad: Will do.

The fuck?! See I knew my dad didn’t except me all along, no matter what anyone told me. I just knew it. But he’s never let it show like this. He’s always stayed quiet, or acted like he supported me. And now all of a sudden.. this. I know I might be taking this the wrong way, but when he said “confusion,” I’m pretty sure he meant I’m all just making it up in my head. “What’s good for him in the long run?” What the hell? How about what makes me happy? Wouldn’t that be good for me in the long run? “The wrong decision?” Oh yeah, I just decided one day let’s start fucking guys, because my parents would just love that. “Thoughts that can't make him happy?” Oh they're just thoughts now that I should forget about? Ahh.. well if anyone had just told me sooner.. I can just forget about them? Well problem solved! And now I’m “deluded” as well. And apparently, so is my brother! It’s bad enough to think about me that way, but to talk like that to my brother?

It really hurts me the way he thinks about me. I’ve tried so hard for him. He has no idea. There’s nothing I want more right now in life than to make him proud. But I don’t know how I can do that. All I do is disappoint him. If there was anything I could do to change myself, I would. In a heartbeat. Anything! But I can’t, and I’m so done trying. I just wish he could see that and accept me and be proud of me for who I am. But I guess that’s never gonna happen.

I’m just so done fighting anything I feel, and trying to make others happy. I can’t do it anymore. And if that means losing my dad, then so be it. But it still hurts. A lot.

*On a side note, I love my brother so much. I couldn't have wished for a better one. The way he responded to all of this and stood up for me.. just amazing. :slight_smile:

#1 justinf, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's really hard. I'm sorry for what happened. But I agree with you that you should just be happy with you and forget about others sometimes. I feel bad, because when I think about coming out to my mom, I'm so afraid of losing her. I guess she will be supportive, but anything can happen. And I feel your pain. I'm really sorry.

But I guess things will change. Things MIGHT change, because your dad will see that you are not just playing around, or anything, that's who you are and you are happy being that way, so I guess your dad will understand someday, it's your dad, he loves you. He doesn't agree with you right now because it's new (I think) and he has to get used to it.

But I wish the best of luck to you.

PS.: your brother is amazing. I love it that you are friends and he is supportive of you. It's nice to have someone who supports you in times like that.

3. Wolfie Charm

Wow, that’s rough. Sorry your dad thinks of you that way. (*hug*) Your brother is definitely awesome. Glad he is!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HI, Justin,

First, remember the 5 stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance). For whatever reason, dads sometimes take longer than moms to sort through the steps, in part because I think they're more likely to blame themselves, and in part because emotions are usually more difficult for straight men.

So I think what he might be experiencing is somewhere between anger and bargaining... he still thinks you can change, and he's angry that you're "choosing" something that will make life difficult.

But reread that conversation: He's not saying he doesn't love you, or isn't concerned about you. He's saying he's deeply concerned that you're depressed or angry or upset.

My guess is that he's less concerned about your being gay and more concerned about your mood/depression. You've talked about the problems you've faced with feeling down, and the fact that you're coping by drinking heavily... so it seems clear that he's aware of that, and concerned for you. He just doesn't want you to be unhappy. I think he cares a lot less about your being gay, as he does about seeing you be miserable.

So my best suggestion is put your energy into understanding yourself and dealing with the feelings and the confusion. At the point where you have a clearer understanding of who you are, and can really accept and love yourself as you are, I think you'll see a lot of the depression start to lift, and feel better... and I think if your dad sees you happier, he will be a lot more comfortable and accepting.

5. Exoskeleton

For a lot of people, sexuality is a conscious decision. And for a lot of those people, being straight is the right decision, and being anything else is a state of being confused about who you really are and what you really want. On the other hand, your profile does say that you don't know your orientation. I don't know what you told your father, but if you came out as unsure, then that can be confusion. I can't help but notice that your brother, who is clearly very accepting of you, also said you are experiencing confusion.

Try not to get so upset about what your father said. It looks like he is coming from a place of love. He's worried about you, man. He has seen your depression, and as a father he doesn't want to sit by and let you suffer through it.

Maybe he could have expressed that in another way. Maybe on some level he does have some misunderstandings about how being not straight works. But just as he is choosing to focus on you being happy and having a good future, maybe you can focus on the love he feels for you instead of whatever opinion you think he may have about your orientation. He has acted like he's supported you and in this conversation never explicitly said that "playing for the other team" is what he can't support. He said making the wrong decision.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't let a conversation that he didn't have with you change your opinion of him and how he feels about you for the worse. It seems to me like he loves you.

6. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    While it may seem like your father thinks that your sexuality is in your head or that you chose it, I think this conversation with your brother was just him expressing concern for your well being. From what you provided he mentioned how you have been depressed for some time and I am guessing he is equating this with your sexuality as he sees it has come from it or something like that from what I'm understanding.

Is your current mood a result from coming out? Or is it something else entirely? If the latter you might want to explain to him the reason. If it is about your sexuality, maybe sitting down and talking to him about it might be that best option. It seems to me that he cares for you and I think he'd be willing to listen to you. It could help him understand it isn't 'confusion' but who you are and that (once again you mood being about your sexuality/coming out) you have been struggling with it.

Anyways, I hope you two can talk about and he will understand. Remember that your brother is there for you too. Best of luck. (*hug*)

7. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Parents can be stupid. I am one so I know this. Think it will just take time. Your Dad now knows your brother is on your side. Somewhere in his head and heart he knows he will have to change his way of thinking if he wants his sons in his life. Be patient. Hugs. Your not alone.

8. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone.

I know all he wants is for me to be happy, but I don't think he understands I don't have to be straight in order to be happy. Yes, I've been a bit down because of my sexuality, but that doesn't mean if I go back to being straight again I'll magically start feeling better. I think he thinks the fact that I'm not feeling well right now means I was wrong and I can be straight after all.
    I get that he doesn't want to see me down, but blaming it on my "choice" of sexuality is really the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I guess you guys are right, though, he didn't actually say he'd have a problem with me being gay or bi. It just bothers me that he thinks I'd choose this.

I just hope he'll really be more understanding once he sees I can be happy with a guy as well. I know I can be. But until then, even if it is just because he cares, it still hurts a lot that right now he feels the way he does.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, Justin.

Of course it's hurtful. You're struggling with this, and having a hard time loving yourself, and the last thing you need is someone you love and care about thinking you're *choosing* this discomfort. It's ignorant and disrespectful. But he probably has little to no experience dealing with this sort of thing, and honestly may not understand.

I think as you work through your issues and learn to love yourself as you are, and accept your sexuality (whatever it may be), you'll work through a lot of the discomfort that's been driving your negative behaviors for years. Once he sees that you're happy in a relatioship, even if it's a relationship with a guy, I think he'll be totally fine with it. Just gotta give him a little time to understand. After all, you've had hints of what was going on for you for a very long time... and you're just now coming to terms with it. So give him a little time as well :slight_smile:

10. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Your dad is just concerned. Parents have weird ways of being concerned, but know that he loves and wants the best for you, even though it feels like he is being a jerk

11. Dalmatian

I'll join in in saying that your dad is probably doing relatively well. As a parent, he's concerned and he wants to help. Note that he is not saying being gay is wrong (even if he's not comfortable with it), but that he wants you to not be wrong. He wants you to do what's right for you. At the moment, you two maybe see things differently, but by openly trying to talk to your brother, he's showing that he wants to deal with his own insecurities while being sure that he doesn't come off as unsupportive to you. He knows he's having problems with this and he's trying to sort it out. In the meantime, he's trying to make sure that you get support from him and that his insecurities don't spill over to you. I'm not saying he's chosen the best way to do that, but still.

Also, don't think I think, even for a moment, that you are wrong about how hurtful some of those comments are. Of course they are. It's just that in the first post you seemed to have taken the stand of seeing the black side of the black-and-white picture. So when all these comments are trying to show it's actually gray, that doesn't mean we disagree with you.

12. AtticusJohn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to agree with the majority of the opinions, that yes your father is genuinely concerned for your wellbeing and to him what you're going through is a state of confusion. I think (forgive me If I'm wrong) he believes your depressive state can be solved if you "clear your mind". The only piece of advice I could offer you is to somehow educate him regarding LGBT issues.

Also it's great you have such a supporting brother, my brother's the same and like your situation it's my dad who always makes a comment whenever a publicly gay person appears on TV. :rolle:

13. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm glad everyone seems to think he means well.

To be fair, I know I often overreact a bit when it comes to my dad.. it's just that his opinion means a lot to me. I really hope everyone's right and he just needs some time. I guess only time can tell.

Thanks for the help.