1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong that I don't want my parents to be apart of my life?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CptnBeefheart, Mar 28, 2013.

1. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What I really desire is to cut off any connection with them and live my life the way I want to. To be honest, they're not that bad of parents, they've never abused me, treated me wrong, or anything bad like that. It's just that I don't really like them as people.

My mother's life hasn't been very fulfilling for her and on serious occasions I've heard her talk about how much she detests herself. I'm purely convinced that she wishes she was dead (She has told me how much she wanted to to die and she's tried to kill herself before, if it weren't for her religion she'd probably try it again). What really bothers me about her is that she's believes in ridiculous things like demons. I remember being a kid and being into all the nerdy things like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards. When she found out I had them, she took them away from me and burned them to "prevent demons from entering our house". She doesn't usually act like that, she's a very nice person. When she confronted me and asked if I was gay or not, I told her I was bisexual and even though she was mad, she was understand. Then again, even after that she repeatedly told me how badgered me with how wrong homosexuality was until I told her it was a phase and that I'm straight.

I don't want to be around that and I don't even feel safe when I'm around her.

My father is actually very easy going and doesn't care about any of that stuff my mother hates. There's not really a problem I have with him, though I don't really have anything with him at all. We're just not that close and I don't really have any interested to be.

I know this may make me seem like a bad person but its really how I feel about them. I just want to close my parents door and never look back. I initially thought if I never talked to them again they'd think I was dead, which made me think about this.

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But the sound (reading) of it, you sound like a youngin'.

It's natural to want to seperate from your parents.
    Plus if they are negative, even if they don't take it out on you, it's also natural not want to be around them.

Negative bad, positive goood.

3. LD579

Are you financially dependent on them? Do you live at home? Are you old enough and mature enough to deal with the consequences if you cut off contact?

If you can answer these questions, it's really up to you. Your dad, though... I'd give him some sort of chance, at least. It's more foggy for your mom, but... I'm sure if I were a parent, I'd be devastated if my kid cut off contact with me. I'd advise that if you do this, you still have some sort of a way to be in contact with them. You never know what the future holds, and keeping options open is the best way for the most positive opportunities.

4. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'll be 18 in a week, so legally I'll be an adult. I'm sorry if my writing is bad.

5. x Wallflower x

I think you need to take time to seriously think about it, cutting your parents out of your life is a big thing and will make a big impact on your life. If you're financially independant why not move out on your own first then you'd only see your parents at your choosing furthermore your dad seems like a nice guy and surely it'd be better to just deal with your mothers attitude to maintain a relationship with him however thats just my opinion.

6. Ruby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I were in that situation I would probably give your dad a another shot but I don't blame you for wanting to get away from your mother. If you do feel like you have to just get them out of your life don't just drop off the face of the earth, they are your parents and they will worry. Maybe if necessary do it gradually, that way you have time for gain full financial/personal independence.

7. AKTodd

This is actually fairly easy to do in a (mostly) non-confrontational way.

When you are old enough (which sounds like it will be happening soon) move out of the area. Personally, I'm a big fan of what I call the Two Hour Rule of Family Harmony:

For maximum family harmony all members of the family should be at least 2hrs plane ride (not drive time, plane ride) from all other members of the family. This means that you can call each other from time to time, and email if you want, but no one is dropping in unexpectedly. And as time goes on the amount of communication tends to drop because you all have things to do. Get caller ID and you don't even have to answer the phone if you don't feel like it and can call back when you think it's best or when you feel up to it.

I love my family lots but also like living my own life. I'm also something like 8hrs plane ride from the closest one of them and more like 12hrs for most. And I'm OK with that.

Unless your parents want to try to insist that you should live in the same town or something, you can readily look for post-18 opportunities that place you at some remove from them.

Todd

8. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Although he's a very nice person I honestly don't think he is that interested in a relationship either. There's never really been anything there before and I kinda doubt it'll change

That's the perfect idea. I've been thinking of moving to Pennsylvania and the flight distance is like an hour and a half so that's close enough. It might be awhile until I can move there though. It'll probably be a more stable place to live then immediately going into NY.

9. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I guess my father isn't as laid back as I thought. I remember asking who my cousins girlfriend was to my dad (because it was obvious she was in a relationship with her) and he and my grandmother proceed to talk about how homosexuality is wrong and that if they passed a law that allowed lesbians and gays to marry, then no one would get married which doesn't even make sense. If he found out I was bisexual, I'd probably be given the same resentment.

10. Convoy

My family aren't really a part of my life. I understand that they had it rough (since both of them work jobs that aren't collage dependent, low pay and high hours) however they've never been there for me emotionally and just seem distant to me.

Now I don't rely on them at all for most stuff, I do all my own finances, forums, etc so they have almost no control in my life and on my future. They give me some money, housing, and I occasionally help them out; that's just about how it goes. We really don't talk much to be honest, other then when they confront me which to be honest I just blow off, they weren't there all my life, they think they can control me now :lol:.

So I say don't worry about it, if your seriously concerned about your safety/housing situation due to your orientation then you might want to stay closeted but as you age and grow older the amount your family is in your life is up to you. You'll have that chance to make them decide if they really want to keep you in their lives, but you have to get there and hold for your own.

Best of luck to you.

11. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really don't want to give them a chance at all. I just want to get out and never see them. I'm just not sure exactly how I'm going to make it on my own, but I'm determined to do so.

12. 2dMnB

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Best wishes to you, Beefheart, and don’t feel obliged to keep in touch with your parents just because they gave birth to you. You have your own life to live and you should be free to do so without letting their expectation of you to get in the way. There’s no need to feel bad about it! Your mother seems to have some very big issues with herself. Don’t let it get to you! Move out as soon as you can and don’t look back! And if you were never really close to your father to begin with it might be a bit too late to start now, especially if it’s one sided.

13. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In direct reply to your title, It's your life, so no, I guess not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I would always advise trying to make your relationship with your parents better if you can, but there is no obligation, I suppose!