1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just lied to my mom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by The username, Mar 29, 2013.

1. The username

So, I quit rowing months ago because I lost my enjoyment of the sport (team drama, etc). I never told my family because it's one thing they really like to talk about, and they seem very proud about me rowing. "How is rowing going?" is a question I hear every time I go to family functions. Plus, I always have interesting stories of the strange things my coach does. It has been the main thing I have done besides study over the past couple of years.

Today my mom asked when the first regatta was. I said this weekend (true). She asked if it was away or here. I first responded with away but quickly changed it to "No, it's here." The away race is Richmond, meaning my mom would want to come since it is close to home. But instead of racing, I will be in a physics lab.

So damn. Last year my aunt cut out an article from the newspaper about that regatta and gave it to my mom. There may be a good chance she finds out it is down there this weekend... So, I need to tell her that I am not rowing anymore, but this lie made it that much harder.

I really never lie. I don't really know what to ask in terms of advice, but I guess, how do people get out of sticky situations like this?

2. Wolfie Charm

You don’t seem to be in as deep as me, but I know that hideous feeling of dishonesty. I went through it when I quit lacrosse and didn’t tell my dad even when he was always on about it and asking when my games were, and when I quit school, and when I “started” school. I guess just come out and say you lost your love for it and want to focus on <insert new passion/focus here>. Rowing is a team sport and if someone doesn’t have their heart in it, it shows in results, right?

3. stumble along

Tell her you got confused as to where it was because you quit rowing

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup, lying just over-complicates life...
    as if it isn't complicated enough already

5. Ianthe

Just tell her the truth--that there was too much drama on the rowing team, and you weren't enjoying it anymore, so you stopped, but you haven't wanted to tell her because you felt like she would be disappointed.

Emphasize that it really meant a lot to you to have so much support from the family about your rowing, but it just wasn't fitting into your life any more.

6. Bree

The best thing to do when you've only told one small lie is to tell the truth. You were clearly upset enough about admitting quitting to her that you lied, so explain that you were scared she'd be disappointed in you. Tell her about the team drama, as much as you can, and that you weren't comfortable or happy doing it anymore. She'll probably immediately start trying to make you feel better. She may be hurt that you didn't tell her the truth, but remember that she's hurt, not angry.

DON'T ADD ANOTHER LIE. Use the rest of us lying idiots as lessons on what NOT to do. Straighten it out now before you dig yourself deeper--even if she never finds out, you clearly aren't comfortable lying, and that will be on your conscience.

7. The username

Lol @ Stumble.
    and @ bingo, good concise advice. That may help me with coming out ; )

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone.

Yeah... I definitely don't think I would add on to my lie anymore. If my mom does find out, I will definitely have to confess. In that case y'alls replies have helped greatly in how I would respond. I don't think she would be mad at all, as rowing has always been secondary to my education and job/internship searching (which I have been very adamant about and updating my mom on).