1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone be gay or bisexual with the following characteristics/hobbies?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, Mar 30, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

The boy I like has got many stereotypical characteristics and hobbies which can give hints to whether or no he is gay. The ones that tell me that he is not gay are:

- Deeper voice than others his age
    - Enjoys sport

I know that these are stereotypes, but I just want confirmation that if someone does have these characteristics and hobbies that there is still a chance that they could be gay or bisexual.

I know that the only 100% accurate way of finding out someone's sexuality is to ask, but I would prefer that to be a near last resort.

Any other advice you could give would be much appreciated. Thank you x :thumbsup:

2. dalicatz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah. Many people fit stereotypes. Some people don't. He may or may not be gay. Maybe mention something about girls and see how he reacts? Although he could be bi, so that wouldn't tell you much either. But I can think of three different gay guys I know who like sports and have deep voices, so there's definitely a possibility. As ridiculously tough as this is, try not to get too attached until you know for sure. It's hard, since if he is gay he may not be ready to come out.

3. I'm bisexual and I have a deep voice. I absolutely hate most sports though. That's from a mix of laziness and not wanting to get changed in front of people due to my scars.

Although I've heard of gay footballers and rugby players. You cannot decide if someone is gay from their personality really. I mean, the most feminine girl can be a lesbian and the most masculine boy can be gay. I don't know much about telltale signs, though.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Voice, physical build, interest in sports, etc tell you absolutely nothing about someone's sexual orientation. They aren't even good stereotypes.

The challenge is, if the person is near your age, he may be deeply closeted, or not even be aware (consciously) that he isn't straight, so even if you ask, you may not get an accurate answer. But you gotta start somewhere, so that might be the place to start.:slight_smile:

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Unless the characteristic in question is not being attracted to men, or the hobby in question is having sex with women exclusively, then characteristics and hobbies won't tell you anything about whether someone is gay or not.

Think about this for a second: The latest statistical data suggests that about 6% of people our age identify as gay. That's about one in sixteen people. Does one in every sixteen guys you encounter fit the stereotypes of being gay? I doubt it. In the gap between that one-in-sixteen and the guys who fit the stereotypes, that's where you'll find the gay guys who can "blend in". So we're way more common than you might think.

Are you already friends with this boy you like? If not, focus on making that happen first. If you're already friends, try coming out to him. You can probably gauge how well he'll react to you asking him out by how well he reacts to finding out that you're gay.

6. birdy

That information speaks very little to his sexual orientation. I wouldn't base anything off of stereotypes because they are very unreliable and even misleading.

7. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think hobbies really have much to do with someone's sexual orientation.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a correlation between being an effeminate guy and being gay, but it's not 100%. There are guys who are masculine and gay, and there are guys who are effeminate and straight.

And how deep your voice is has more to do with what you look like, in my experience, than any aspect of your behavior or personality.