1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Idris, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd like some advice on this:

Backstory: I was in a relationship with a girl off and on for almost four months. This girl happened to be a good friend who I was pretty close to for almost two years prior to us dating. But, at the time, she was dealing with personal issues in her life, and was still healing from the person she dated prior to me, who had cheated on her. The first attempt at dating lasted three weeks before anxiety on her end ended things. The second attempt occurred almost a month later and lasted a month and a half before once again anxiety ended it on her end. We took a two week no contact period,but because of school, I gave her a bit more time, and then somehow she wanted to give things another shot. But once again, we ended things after a month, and this time, decided to be friends. She made me promise we'd still be friends. And the difference with this time versus all the others, was that it was all done in person(the other two were done between Skype and text as we were a LDR).

Current Situation: After the breakup, we were fine for a few weeks and talked somewhat normally. But then one day, a friend of hers sent me a message online because they had seen something I posted and thought it was me still having feelings for her. After I had returned, I was coping with illness, plus anxiety cropping up as a result of the breakup(prior to this girl, I had never had a full blown relationship with either gender, and this was my first time in a same sex relationship and so I was taking the breakup harder than I thought I would). I panicked and asked her advice, and she suggested I change my personal blog so this person couldn't discover my personal blog. In that time, we decided to not talk a lot until people could see us as nothing more than just friends. Somehow during that time though, she had crushes on new people and started avoiding and ignoring me. I however, was getting worse with my anxiety and wasn't coping very well. I already had started seeing my counselor after things ended, and she was helping me quite a bit with the residual anxiety and mild depression. And then one day she stopped following me on two social networks, and I got upset, but tried my best to not take it personally.

And one day, she started making comments indirectly about someone annoying her, and 'how she didn't think she could be friends with an ex' and I started wondering if she meant that she didn't want friendship with me. But, we've had misunderstandings in the past because of me reading her posts and assuming she was talking about me(she's never been able to tell me how she feels about me, even as a friend. she used to be able to, but after dealing with all the things in her life, she stopped doing so. Ironically enough, when she was making those comments, I had stopped contact as much (I had stopped two, nearly three weeks earlier after not getting direct answers, but did send a text a week before asking how they were...no response of course). So I went and unfollowed and deleted because I was feeling hurt and wasn't moving forward and I felt that if she and I were to ever be friends, I needed to be properly over her. Two days later I learned she was upset and confused(It sounded like my deleting and unfollowing upset her). And then got another message from a friend of hers that mentioned things like 'You don't even want to be her friend' but ignored it because they were interfering in something that wasn't really their business. That and it was making me have panic attacks. I made the decision to send her a message explaining my reasoning because, I didn't want her to think I was mad or hated her. I just needed time.

She responded a day later, telling me that 'Clearly, you need time, so by all means go for it' and she also implied that she was too busy right now with things going on with school and her life to deal with things like this and be upset. I told her I'd give her space to sort out her personal issues and finish out the semester and she thanked me.

So my question is, is she mad at me? Do you think I still have a chance at working things out and being friends?

#1 Idris, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013