1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devestating After-Effects of Coming Out

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PurpleRain, Mar 31, 2013.

1. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I came out to my girlfriend last week. A couple of days after she said, "We need to go on a break to gauge our feelings and see if we're right for each other." I reluctantly said ok because I didn't want to cling to her. Since then things have been fairly normal she's been clingy and controlling as ever despite the break, but then I found out that over our spring break she spent nearly every day with other people that I don't even know that well, and spent an entire day with a guy alone (this was before the break). I admittedly have not been the best partner, but I'm poor and fragile and messed up so I do the best that I can, but was it fair to treat me this way and keep me from having friends or anyone to talk to including my own family?

Here's the worst part of this: Tonight she called me and told me she has a date with some guy I don't even know. She apparently had one class with him one semester and he graduated after that. He's older than me and I... I feel so hurt that she would do this to me. I came out to her in confidence that she wouldn't do this sort of thing. She said she'll still be there for me if I need her, but she won't be. I can tell she's emotionally disconnected herself from me and the only reason she talks to me now is to make me feel bad in a way that's indirect but she knows what she's doing at the same time... She asks me offensive questions about my gender and preferences and jokes about it and I'm trapped... If I cut contact with her she'll get mad and tell people about me... I think she just wants to watch me suffer while I'm at my most sensitive... Please help me I don't know what to do... :tears:

2. Wolfie Charm

Wow, that’s low of her. Sorry it turned out this way. (*hug*) She actually said she’ll tell if you distance yourself from her or otherwise “upset” her? Would people believe her or has she finked on others so nobody takes her serious.

3. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are people who know she isn't as nice as she seems but she is fairly believable and "guy" me isn't exactly outgoing and is a really easy target... She didn't explicitly say she'd do it but I know her and she will. She says and does a lot of mean things when she's angry and she's like a powder-keg with no fuse...

4. Wolfie Charm

I hope someone comes along with great advice for you very soon. Sorry I can’t help or even just suggest something mildly helpful. I hope she finds her maturity/finishes processing and doesn't keep this crap up. You don’t have to answer this: Are you guys in high school (nearing the end of being stuck with the same people) or beginning of college? Part of what sucks about schooling is the packs of jerks who make it miserable for us.

5. Just Jess

HUGE (*hug*)

I can't tell you how terrible January was for me. I'm just finally recovering from the huge hit it made for me academically today. Literally today, I gave up half my Easter Sunday. I'm here on EC unwinding a little bit before round 2 and am planning on going to bed around 3 this morning. Lucky me my first class is in the afternoon. I was just an embarrassing emotional wreck, and it was 100% me and my partner, and the emotional hell it was causing. It's just incredible how cruel people can be.

There really is not a right answer here. I don't think she deserves any more of your love and attention, but your safety is a huge concern. I don't feel like giving in is the best long term strategy. It might be necessary in the short term. But it will probably encourage her to blackmail you more, and you can't trust her not to tell people anyway.

Do you know who she would tell? Is there a safe way you could tell anyone first on your terms (if they are otherwise LGBT friendly especially)? It's really scary feeling like you need to come out, and it's a little bit sad that you can't do things on your own terms right now. But every friend you can get on your side will help. I mean still use caution. How cool are your parents?

Does your school have any kind of drama or theater clubs? It's way late in the school year sure. But if you can make friends with those people... I hate to sound this way because it is a cliche but some of my best LGBT friends were made that way and I'm pretty sure you'll run into a few there. You might even be able to find a cute girlfriend or boyfriend who can support you knowing everything right at the start of the relationship. A lot of them started out not being social butterflies and will have major nerd sympathy.

You really don't deserve any of the things she is doing to you :frowning2: I don't want to be mean and I apologize if you still have feelings for her, but if she is this vindictive or at least has this side to her, she is going to end up with someone she deserves eventually. You can do so much better.

I just hate it when people I like are getting hurt and I can't do anything about it :frowning2: Good luck, please let us know how things are going.

6. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, while I do not agree with her telling anyone because that's just being vengeful. She's hurting, but she did request a break, which I think you should give her. She deserves space and time apart, so she can collect her thoughts and think about her future with or without you. I'm sure she doesn't know how to react, so it appears that she is indeed moving on.

I know that you do not approve and it does show you how much she does not care about your feelings. I know it hurts because she's moving on so quickly, but rebounds are a way to make people feel better about themselves. When things gets tough, you usually realize who your true friends are. I really hope she does not out you, and I'm sure you're not ready for anyone else to know. I'm not sure if I'm of much help, but just let her cool off for a while and keep yourself occupied. I know it's easier said than done, so hang in there (*hug*)

#6 pinklov3ly, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013