1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In love with straight best friend who's interested in my sister! Help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bluehejira, Apr 3, 2013.

1. bluehejira

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    starts as a familiar situation: i'm gay, 22 yo and in love with my 21 yo male best friend (who knows i'm gay and likes him). a few things have happened between my friend and i which gave me hope that he could be bi and possibly start a relationship with me. but i think that realistically he's just straight and won't get involved with a guy. i know that i should just concentrate on our friendship and get over my deeper feelings for him and focus on finding someone gay or bi who can love me the way i want my best friend to.

my friend has had a few girlfriends before and i have tried to be supportive of them but my jealousy made me try to avoid talking about his girlfriends. i thought "ignorance is bliss" and if i don't have to see or talk to those girls then i don't need or want to know what goes on between him and his girlfriends (thinking that their stories would make me crazy with envy).

now i'm faced with a slightly different problem. my friend is now single. and so is my 19 yo sister, even though she is currently dating a guy. i live at home with my parents and sister. when my friend and i get together, it is mostly at my place. sometimes, of course, my sister is home too and my friend and her talk to each other. she even joins my friend and i sometimes with whatever we may be doing at my place (video games, drinking etc). i'm worried (heck, scared even!) that he and she will get together as a couple. my sister said a few years ago that if he was single she'd go for him (he had a gf at the time). i don't think my friend has mentioned any interest in my sister but i'm pretty confident he is (she's attractive kinda similar to one of his ex-gfs).

i'm upset because i don't have many close friends (2 to be exact) and my sister is a much more sociable person than i am and has more friends. i think she should stick to her own friends and leave me mine (i guess that since i don't have a lot, i defend what i have more passionately). also, i can deal with my friend having a girlfriend, as long as i don't have to see them together (when my friend and i hang out it is almost always just the two of us and i want to keep it that way). but if my friend hooks up with my sister then i'll be living in the same house with his girlfriend! i'll have to see his gf daily and even try to still like her (i feel close to my sister even though my jealousy now also makes me resent her). i also fear that if he's with her he'll have less time to spend with me. it would also kill me knowing that i was the one who brought the two of them together. such bitter irony that'd be.

i'm afraid of telling them that i don't want them to hook up because i don't want to lose or damage my relationships with them. but i sometimes feel like i'd have to give my friend an ultimatum: he either chooses me or my sister. i know that as a friend i should care about my friend's (and sister's) happiness, and if being together makes them happy why should i try to stop that? i guess my plan is to try and keep them apart when i can (selfish, i know) but accept that i can't help it if they do enjoy each others company and become closer as friends or a couple. i guess all i can strive for is prevention because a cure would probably destroy our relationships.

what i'd appreciate are different points of view, suggestions, advice, stories from guys who've gone through similar ordeals etc.

thanks a lot for reading, and for whatever you have to offer

2. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    dude, i'd say you need to back off from your mate coz it aint gonna go no where... theyre your best friend for a reason and it will ruin your friendship if something did happen...

talk your sis, tell her exactly how you feel and being a good sis she should be... she'll back off... i dont know any of my mate's sister to hang out with us... siblings shouldnt be sharing friends coz then things can get complicated like they hook up etc...

sorry to sound blunt but im just trying to be realistic with you...
    what you do with my advice is up to you...

Good Luck Bud

3. robclem21

This is where you lost me... If she is currently dating a guy, how does that make her single?

Aside from that, I don't think you need to worry. If you are that concerned, just talk to you friend and set boundaries for your friendship like you would with anything else. Tell him you will respect his choices and be supportive of what he does, but your sister is "off limits" to him. I think most guys would respect this in a close friendship anyways though.

4. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agree with above, siblings are off limits to most guys - it's an unwritten rule.

5. Anomander

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If your friend knows your gay and you like him you can try to accept that as some sort of closure in the sense that if he has feelings for you that ball is in his court because you have told him. I am in a similar situation minus the him knowing and the whole sister thing haha. With that said dating your best friends younger sister is kind of weird but I know some people who have done it. Generally speaking it is an unwritten rule and he should at least talk to you about it first if there was anything to come about it. Obviously if he knows you like him and hes starts dating your sister he should realize it will make things impossibly awkward for you guys as friends. I really do not know what I would do in that situation... I feel for you

6. ChristianHipstr

If they do want to get together, don't try to stop them! He's probably straight, we all have to deal with that chance. If it bothers you so much, just kindly explain these feeling to your sister (if they do hook up) and let her know your happy for them but you just don't want to her to talk about him around you. Obviously you've heard the guy talk about his girlfriends before, so just ignore it. I know it sounds hard, my crush as of now is like 95% straight, and he and my best friends are spending A LOT of time together, but hey, there's obviously not a chance of me and him, so why not let her take him? At least I'll get to see him a lot, we're still really good buds regardless.