1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liking someone purely because they are gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by falsereading, Apr 3, 2013.

1. falsereading

falsereading Guest

I've worked with this guy for the past year or so and whilst he is cute and a nice bloke I have had my suspicions he was gay (some big giveaways, the campest drunk dancer I have ever ever seen) I never really thought any more of it. I'm not out at work at all and to my knowledge he has never said anything either.

The other day he was not in the office and there was talk about him, about three people in the office said he was quite obviously gay. I kept quiet and just smiled, it was quite refreshing really as everyone was supportive and said it was no issue.

Since then I've really started thinking about him more and more ie asking him out for a drink. I'm not sure what my intentions are, I think he would be a great friend and by the looks of it he has some closet issues as well that I would love to be able to talk with someone over. If I do want more then this nagging feeling is that if I did not have these feelings really before other people said he was gay then am I just desperate and liking him just because he is gay?

Anyone any thoughts, is this normal? Thanks!

2. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i personally have not been through what your going through but ummm thats a tricky one... coz i know a couple of straight dudes are camp as hell and they like the ladies... so yeah think you might need to read into that one more...

and yeah i think you like him just coz your perspective of him is gay...
    its like when some dude or chick that like you. and just coz they like you, it kinda makes you think of them alot... (not sure if that was a good example coz i know that happens to me and other peepz but could be different for others )

3. nikom87

I think it's perfectly normal. You say you think he is cute and nice, so you may actually like him, not just because he's gay. I don't think you have anything to lose by asking him for a drink.

I can relate to the feeling of thinking I like someone (even just as a friend) or am drawn to someone just because they are/might be gay. I guess when i feel really isolated, when i finally do see/meet another LGBT person I get kind of excited and want to get to know them.

4. Bent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From how you described him, he sounds pretty likable to begin with!
    I have definitely had that happen though... Several times! A person that I had no feelings for whatsoever, might not have even been really attracted to. But after I found out they were gay/bi I thought they were much more appealing.

I agree with what nikom87 said, sometimes you feel kind of isolated (I don't know your personal situation) and just knowing another gay person to talk to about commonalities can be great!

You might as well ask him for a drink, ya never know where it might lead! :thumbsup: