1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Friend is Threatening Suicide

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PleaseHelp, Apr 3, 2013.

1. PleaseHelp

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I wound up on one of my friends tumblr today, when I saw a day old post about how she:
    -hates her family and hopes they all die
    -hates her self
    -and will kill herself this summer
    She's already been through 3 therapists, and is at the point where she won't talk to them. The only reason she doesn't self harm anymore is because her parents won't let her go to summer camp of she does. She says she wants someone who cares to talk to, but whenever I try to help, because apparently I have no emotional issues and will not be a blue to help her (her words exactly). I would try to do something to help even more, but I'm afraid I'll say the wrong thing an drive her off the deep end. I'm really close friends with her twin sister, and I feel like I shoul tell her, but I don't know how she'll take it. I don't wanna not do anything, because of she goes through with it, I will feel immensely guilty. I am entirely utterly clueless on what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say tell her parents (assuming you think they'll be supportive). Don't keep it a secret - better if she's mad at you than if she's dead.

3. TraceElement

Tell somebody...your parents, her parents, school counselor, or teacher. She needs more help and support than you can give her. She will be mad that you spoke up, but I would rather have someone mad at me than struggle with the guilt of not saying anything.
    Let her know that you only did this because you care about her and want to succeed in life. Be willing to be a supportive friend and offer her an ear, but again she needs a more "intensive" support channel that you can provide.

Hope that it makes sense...