1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 22 too young to be in a Partnership

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So the other day my boyfriend has proposed to me and wants to become my civil partner. In Ireland its the exact same rights as a marriage (unlike the US) and well I accepted.

When I told my family, there were "You are too young to be tied down" , but I love him and I want to be his partner come husband. I have a job and I have moved out fully so I don't see what else they can do

2. MichaelB

I, personally, think it is a little to young but that's just my own opinion. You need to decide what YOU want; in the end that's all that matters.

Do you think its too young for you? People are different and inherently want different things. I wouldn't want to be tied down at a young age because there's so much more I want to see, but on the other hand I have a friend who's already engaged and starting a family at 19, because that's all she's ever wanted.

tl : dr, if it's what you want, then that's all that should matter. Hope all goes well for you :slight_smile:

3. photoguy93

It's too young, in my opinion.... But what can anyone say?

You're going to do whatever you want..... So why you are asking is puzzling. Do YOU think it's young?

This is a partnership - it should be a lifetime commitment. We are still changing and seeing life at this age..... Why can't you both just be together, for now?
    How long have you been together, by the way?

4. Beware Of You

About a year

5. FruitFly

The only thing I think is too young to enter into a partnership is the length of time you have been dating, but that is my personal opinion as I prefer 3 years of dating prior to any sort of proposal.

If you are happy with this man, and you want to be with him, and this is a direction you both want to take, then that is all that matters. You are young to some, and maybe too young for a partnership when it comes to the preference of others, but this is your life. If you are happy, and your partner is happy, then 22 is far from too young to commit to a lifetime of partnership with this person.

#5 FruitFly, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  6. JPC

JPC Guest

22 definitely seems young to make that level of commitment, but it all depends on how long you've been together and how you feel about him. Maybe ye should wait a little while longer, there's a constitutional convention here this month and I think they're planning to propose legalising marriage for gay people within the next couple of years instead of just civil partnerships.

If you feel like it's right and you plan to be with him for the rest of your life and you're already fully independent from your family then there's nothing stopping you from doing what you want to do.

7. AKTodd

Congratulations! :thumbsup: (!) (*hug*)

Re your question: This is really a matter of what you feel good with.

People used to get married right out of high school and that was considered totally normal and even 'proper'. In more recent years the need/social expectation that both spouses should work and/or complete advanced education has changed this expectation a good bit, but there are still people who date in HS and then get married. Of course pregnancy and children are another factor as well for most people.

Re your specific situation and some of the comments so far:

While you are getting married a bit younger than the current norm, it's certainly not unheard of and even traditional to a degree

Pregnancy isn't an issue sine if you want kids (IIRC you do), you have lots of time and can plan and schedule them to when you both feel you are ready, both emotionally and financially.

I'm not clear on how you are tying yourself down or prevented from exploring or changing just because you are married. Ok, trying sex w/ other guys is probably out unless the two of you are into threesomes or the like (I don't get the sense you are, although its fine if you are, just being complete here).

There are potential complications with you both building your careers while needing to take the other into account. But that could be an issue for the next 20yrs and practically every married couple deals with it. So nothing unusual there, just be prepared for it.

You, he, and your live will change no matter what you do or don't do. My partner and I have been together 16yrs and we are still changing all the time. Change is the only certainty. You seem like a very mature and capable guy (22yr old pilots working on a PHd don't grow on trees) and seem more likely than many your age to be able to roll with the punches.

Since I don't know you or your fiancé personally I obviously can't speak to whether or not I think he's a good guy or or good for you. If you've talked about him in a more descriptive way I've missed that post. So can't speak to anything in that arena.

As long as you are going into this eyes open and your heart and mind both feel good about getting married to him, then go forth and conquer says I :icon_bigg

And once again - Congratulations!!!

Todd

8. Hexagon

You say you love him and want to marry him. I have a feeling you answered your question. Perhaps its younger than most, but I don't think its too young.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations to you both (*hug*) in the UK Straight couples can get married at the age of 16 with their parents consent, at 18 without & many do, my Brother was 19 & his partner 18 & they are still together, 22 is not considered young in the UK :icon_bigg

10. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats...Just make sure you really really want to.