1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Year 9 friends with a Year 7?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, Apr 4, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I have received much feedback and responses from this site in this topic, which I am heartfully grateful for.
    I don't want to bring up the topic about love again (God knows I've asked enough about that), but I want your opinion on if me, a Year 9, would be weird to start communicating and becoming friends with a year 7.

The reason why I am asking this is because ,most people on here say that I should become his friends before telling him showed I feel. I do agree with that, but I don't know if it would seem right to be friends with a year 7.

There are numerous reasons why I would question being his friend:

- When I first talk to him, he may think of it as weird because I am two years older than him, and that would ruin my chances
    - I think he knows that I have feelings for him, which might make him not want to talk to me
    - I may not hang out with my other friends as much

I'm sure there are other reasons, but I think that those three alone are something to hinder my chances.

What do you think? And if you think I should talk to him, casually, how should I?

2. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    2 years isn't anything IMO

3. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Thanks, I just wasn't sure, I should still hang out with my current mates though

4. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't ever walk away from your current friends unless they've done something to end the friendship. The saying bros before hoes applies. I've watched friends do that and regret it big time.

5. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in year 7 I made friends with age group of year 9's, I got on with them and there was never any problems.

6. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I won't leave my current friends, definitely not. "Joe54321", Thanks, now I know that I should get on just as well with him as I do my current friends .

Please keep the responses coming!

7. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, nothing wrong at all. I'm in 9th, and I am personally friends with 12th graders! My best friend is a year above me too, so yeah, no problem.

8. madi

the gaps get smaller as you get older. If he is two years younger than you then isn't he 11? Idk seems fine for friends, but weird for something more to me. If you were both older the gap wouldn't seem as weird, but for now it may be.

9. Wardrobe93

I can completely understand your age concern (I agree with the others that you shouldnt worry about it) but when I was your age I had the same thing with a guy in year 7 who I met on a school trip. I really fell for him although I hadnt accepted at all that I was gay and thought of it more of an 'I really like this guy and really want to be around him' I still know him today (although not very well) and I'm still attracted to him. As far as I know hes straight and i remember him telling me he'd shagged a girl (though that means nothing).

Anyway, advice: If you know hes gay then great pursue it and age should be no problems, although if hes only 11 he may not be attracted to anything yet.

As I've said before to other people, there's plenty more fish in the sea and your still so young so dont get too hung up on this guy and just enjoy life meet lots of people and dont obsess over him.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

10. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    My friend is with my cousin. It works perfectly. Have no fear, it's completely fine!

11. The only year 7 I'm friends with is my girlfriend's brother and he is friends with a bunch of year 9s for some reason. Randomly approaching a year 7 just seems weird, if I'm honest. My friends usually take the mick and terrorise the little kids because it's hilarious. I'm totally surprised you're so in love with a year 7, if I'm honest. At my school they're all about four foot tall and I'm nearly six foot… so yeah. Also, they're annoying as f*ck. I dunno, I don't go to your school and I don't know this kid. It just seems strange how you're so in love with someone you don't really interact with.

12. UndercoverGypsy

Year 7 and year 9 is a weird one, because of puberty and maturity - it might seem like a small age gap, but it's pretty big. However, if he's mature for a year 7, go ahead. Remember that year 7 is pretty young.

13. MichaelB

Around where I live, age for some reason is a big deal.

I know a girl who's just turned 18 and hangs around 16 year olds, and people quite literally know her as the 'pedo girl'. :/

When I was in year 11, I had a few friends in year 10 and 9, but that's the most I branched out at school. And no-one in year 10/11 associated with year 8s or 7s, because that was considered weird (plus, maybe it was just my school but the year 7s and 8s were really fucking annoying haha).

So really, try and judge the situation yourself and see how your school would react. The year 7 would probably find it cool that an older person is talking to him, so if you're only worried about his reaction then go for it. But, if my area is anything to judge by, your peers/older students might find it abit weird.

14. bre16017

I would be cautious. As said, the puberty thing can make a big difference.

Also, at such a young age, two years is a big difference - possibly 1/6 of a year 7 pupil's life.

15. UndercoverGypsy

I love how this thread has attracted all the brits on the forum.