1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my friend, not sure if I should have.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Aussie792, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, this is my first post on EC.:smilewave I came out to my best friend last week over a text, and he said he was fine with it and changed nothing, but he's kind of distanced himself now, and said being gay is a "lifestyle choice" when we were in a group conversation. Is it common for friends who "accept" to act like this? He's the only guy I've come out to, and straight, so I'm wondering if straight friends often drift away from you when you come out? He has always supported gay rights more vocally than I have, but now he's acting strangely, so I'm confused and a bit disappointed.:eusa_doh:

2. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    It is common. Most likely things will get back to normal. Keep your chin up :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2013 at 06:56 PM ----------

Meant to add. He has to accept something that he beforehand wasn't aware of. There is a process involved with those that have to accept others as well.

3. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aye bud welcome to EC...

ive only come out to my best mate and that was 5yrs ago and we're still best mates ... ive not told any other of my mates (theyre all straight) so im sorry bruz i wouldnt know ...

propz to you for coming out though...

4. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on coming out! We all know how hard it is, so congratulations dude!

I say, ask him about it. If you think he's distancing himself because you're gay, then confront him about it (yes, I know that's not a method normally liked but it's worked for me). The situation never really happened for me though. My two best guy friends, named M and A, have both been very accepting. A is my best friend but we've been drifting lately, for reasons other than my sexuality. M has been very helpful, and he's a Catholic straight guy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. The closest thing I have to your situation is when I came out to my friend N. I knew he was a homophobe (so not the SAME as yours) before I came out but I took a risk. Our friendship was changed and then better, now drifting. I'm not saying that'll happen to you though.

Chin up, dude. Think positively and just try talking to him. Ask him to hang out or go do something after school sometime.