1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affection

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nurse Shark, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Nurse Shark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've started dating this guy. He's really special and we both really like each other. I can see us really going places. My only problem is I'm too hesitant when it comes to expressing physical affection. I enjoy being around him, and our prolonged physical contact is amazing. But it took extreme bolstering of my courage to even take his hand, or initiate a simple hug. I've gotten past those jitters, but I have no idea how one would initiate a kiss, or what I would do once it's in action. I've never dated before, so I'm totally clueless. Any advice would be appreciated.:icon_redf

2. LD579

Honestly... I was on the other side of this, basically. It sounds like you've both gone farther than me and my ex have, at any rate, so kudos.

Honesty isn't a bad thing in terms of making a move. Ex. "I kind of want to kiss you right now... Is that okay?"

Many times, awkwardness is endearing. You both sound a bit inexperienced (like me! (!)), and in those cases, there's nothing wrong with awkwardness being present. It's almost like expected to be at least a bit awkward.

Don't be afraid to make a move, but don't force yourself, either. Ultimately, I ended things with my ex-boyfriend because I was tired of waiting around, essentially. 3 months with nothing beyond holding hands was... like being friends with a title. It just made me feel like I either wasn't good enough for him, or that he wasn't ready for physical stuff in relationships, or both.

I don't want either you or him to feel like that, so... Being honest and upfront can't really hurt! That's my advice (keep in mind this is from someone who's kinda been in a situation similar to your own).