1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with a gay parent?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheFlamesOfHell, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Right, this is weird but my girlfriend's mum is a lesbian and she finds it really hard to deal with. She isn't homophobic and knows I'm bisexual and loves it about me for some reason… but she has a real problem with her mum being a lesbian. I don't really know too much because I'm not going through the situation but I'd like some advice from people who have gone through this or if you are a gay parent? I don't know what I'm seeking, I just want to try and help my girlfriend accept her mum.

2. theMaverick

Did she JUST find out that her mum is a lesbian?

3. Nope, she's known for a while.

4. theMaverick

Well...I'd imagine it's the same process for a child finding out their parent is gay as it is vice versa. You've spent your whole life picturing them one way, because it's "normal" and then you find out otherwise...it takes some time to adjust.

5. I know, I've tried helping her she doesn't doesnt really understand how she can now be a lesbian after she was married and everything. I've tried to explain to her that's it's probably just as hard for her mum because she had to hide it but I don't know if it helps.