1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some opinions on this. Please help.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JustARaconteur, Apr 8, 2013.

1. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all,

I've mentioned this a bit before, but I need some help. One of my good friends, a lady who was a big supporter of me accepting myself and coming out, has this abusive boyfriend. Let me lay the groundwork:

First of all, this guy lives out of state and comes to visit like two weekends a month. He's married, and has been on probation before for beating his wife. Yes, my friend is "The Other Woman." This guy is a control freak. People are his property, he must control everything, and has made mild threats against me before. Back in October, we went to a Halloween party that was predominately LGBT. He lost his mind, and told my friend she couldn't go and said I wasn't gay since no one had seen me have sex with a guy. Um...like that's anyone's business? He even said he would...well, threats of violence were made if I ever danced with her.

A few weeks ago, I was in the midst of "Must Finish It This Weekend" project for work. In the fury of work, I get a text from my friend. She wants to hang out, and I tell her I can't. Then I get a follow-up text saying it's the boyfriend and he wants me to hang out with them so he can meet me. I say no. He says "It wasn't a request. Come out here." I insist no and he says, "Well, we'll just come by your place." That didn't happen, thank god. My friend is used to his control issues and abuse, but I will not be spoken to that way.

My reaction to this was to show my friend the seriousness of the situation by cutting her out of my life. I haven't hung out with her since that night and now she's been texting me, saying she misses me and wants to hang out. I won't do it because I know her boyfriend will eventually attack me.

What should I do? Please help me.

2. Loveless

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Tell that prick to fuck right off and that he is not allowed to threaten or belittle you in any way because it's discrimination. And if he so much as threatens you again call the cops on his ass.

3. LD579

Actually, it's not discrimination. It's just aggression with no rational, justifiable explanation.

To the OP: Your safety comes first. Your friend's safety, given that yours is secure, is the next priority. It sounds like you care for this friend, and so I suggest that you find someway to contact her without the boyfriend finding out, if that's possible.

If you can manage to contact her, tell her you have to talk to her in person. Once that happens, tell her what you think about her and her relationship with this guy. Tell her that you don't want her to get hurt.

As for the boyfriend... Hopefully he doesn't do anything to harm you or your friend. If anything does happen:

1. Call the cops.
    2. Escape the situation, and, if necessary, defend yourself.

4. JPC

JPC Guest

Whatever you do, don't put yourself in a position where you're in any danger. You should definitely stay well clear of him. If he can beat up his wife, he probably wouldn't think twice about beating up someone else

I'm kind of worried for your friend though, this guy sounds pretty dangerous. Have you explained to her why you've had to cut her out?

5. photoguy93

One of my closest friends had a really bad boyfriend (nothing near this..but still.)
    It ruined our friendship. He became so controlling that it wasn't even worth he fight anymore. At the end of the day, you have to help yourself. As terrible as this is to say, your friend needs to find the strength in herself to leave. She can leave. If she honestly, truthfully, really wanted to leave, she could do it. There are services provided to women - she obviously has friends. I'm back to being friends with this girl (yey!) because she's got this douche out of her life. Thank god!

Now, I am not trying to be some jerk - I know it is EXTREMELY difficult for people to leave. It's not like "hey, just gonna go get some crackers......" and then never come back. I know it can also be scary because this person might come find them. I'm not trying to make it out to be her fault. My point, though, is that she's going to keep going back to him. She's going to keep making these mistakes until she wakes up. As a friend, you need to provide support to her and say "look, you know this is absolutely horrific. But, I can't be around you if you are going to make this decision."

6. Femmeme

I think cutting off someone in an abusive relationship is the best possible thing you can do sometimes.

Be honest with her though. Tell her you don't feel safe being a part of her life while she's involved with that man. Tell her you won't be treated like that and you wish she felt the same way and tell her to give you a call if she ever breaks up with him.

I've had to have that exact conversation with a friend who was being abused. She was mad at me at first, but later she told me that me cutting her out of my life was one of the things that finally made her see how bad it had gotten.

If the guy ever threatens you again, call the cops and press charges.