1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Friend Is Going Through Tough Times And I Can't Reach Him :'(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GlamKat, Apr 9, 2013.

1. GlamKat

My friend is gay and he came out to his parents when he was 17. His parents were horrified and kicked him out of the house. He prepared himself for a reaction like that so he went and lived with his friend.

Ever since then he's been still living with his friend.

It's been a bit over a year since it happened and he feels like nothing has changed. He wasn't invited over for Christmas or any holidays, he didn't get any birthday wishes, nothing. He's sent his parents e-mails but they never replied.

He talks to his friend that he's rooming with but because she's straight he feels as though she doesn't completely understand him (despite the fact that she's one of his best friends). So to find support he went on ******, managed to find someone who was willing to talk to him and support him via e-mail for all of this time but then he says that it's just not the same even if it does help.

To add, he has 3 sisters who he misses SO MUCH, so they've been sneaking out to see him since they were 'forbidden' or something along those lines, and somehow his parents found out and now his sisters are on practically 24hr watch! So he doesn't see his sisters anymore.

It's not even like his family is overly religious, he doesn't know why they took the news so badly but now he's seriously regretting it and he's freaking out and even though he won't admit it I think he's breaking which is so sad for me hear about.

I'd help him myself in person but there's no way I can reach him; he lives in Finland and I live in Canada.

I feel so bad that all I can do is e-mail and Skype him; it's devastating. :'(

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regarding not seeing his sisters - has he talked to a lawyer? I don't know about Finland, but I know in Canada, parents aren't the only kind of family member who can get court-ordered visitation. When my parents were kinship foster carers for two of my uncle's kids, and my aunt and her husband were foster carers for the other two, the court mandated that the two pairs of kids get visitation with each other. So it might be possible for him to get visitation with his sisters.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you suggested he joins EC for some support and advice??

xx

4. GlamKat

No, he hasn't talked to a lawyer about it. I could tell him about that suggestion though because it's so sad. :'(

I have suggested that, but from my knowledge he hasn't done so :frowning2: Not 100% sure why... He just might not want to talk about out in the open, but I think he needs to get some help and advice about this because it's getting ridiculous.