1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Family Member should I tell first?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, Apr 9, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I have already told most of the people that matter at school about my homosexuality (not bisexuality, I think that they think that I'm 100% gay, but i am bisexual, but that doesn't matter) and I confidently tell anyone who asks.

But now I am thinking that I should let my family know about my bisexuality, however I do not know who to tell first. It may seem obvious to firstly tell my parents, but I just think that I shouldn't. Not only may I change to straight (I know it's unlikely, but it's possible) in the future, so it may not be worth telling them now when I might change, but I will have to live with them for the next several years. So it may become quite awkward and it just wouldn't be the same, do you know what I mean? Also, my parents seem quite (not extremely) homophobic, so they may not react well.

Let's move onto my grandparents. I would be slightly more comfortable in telling my grandparents (my mom's side only though, as my dad's patents are EXTREMELY homophobic). However, of course, there are negatives. They may be homophobic, it probably will be awkward, and they may not take it well overall. I'm not even going to mention my dad's parents, because I know for a fact that they are very homophobic and would not take it well at all. That bad that they might fall out with me, and not want to be a part of my life (yes, it's that bad), so they are out of the question.

Finally I have a cousin (she is quite old though, something like 65 years old, she's like my 6th cousin), we are very close even though we don't see each other that often, but she seem like she's all for equality, and I think I can confide in her not telling anyone, and it would not be awkward as we don't see each other that often. But I still think that I should tell someone closer to me.

What do you think? Who should I tell first?:

- Parents
    - Grandparents (Mom's side)
    - Cousin

Also, what should I do of they take it badly?

Sorry for the length, and thanks in advance for any advice you could give.:slight_smile::thumbsup:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're worried about how your parents might react, I'd say talk to your cousin first. Then you'll have somebody who presumably knows your parents (at least somewhat), and you can discuss your coming-out strategy with them.

Lex

3. Loveless

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Try your mom first, women are more emotional usually and are much more open to things like this, I just came out to my mom yesterday and she was VERY accepting and said many times that she loves me no matter what.

4. Hitch

I told my mom first and she couldn't be more supportive. But i kinda knew going in that she would be supportive. You could always try and gauge where everyone stands on the issue by saying that the topic came up in school and see what their opinion is on it. I think that might be the best way to see who is the most accepting.