1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want more gay friends.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by manoverboard09, Apr 10, 2013.

1. manoverboard09

I don't even know if this belongs in this thread, but it seemed most fitting.

So in the "real world" I have maybe.. 2 gay friends. And I don't even get to hang out with them. And online I feel like I have none. I talk to some people here and there, but I want a close gay friend. I'm gay myself, and maybe it sounds weird, but I just want someone I can talk to about anything and everything. My best friends in real life don't know that I'm gay, I haven't come out to them yet, so I keep all this inside. I just want someone I can be "normal" around.

2. stumble along

I volunteer as tribute?

3. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aye me too

As much as I like EC but I would like to find at least one mate in the real world

#3 Winfield, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  4. manoverboard09

Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

Yeah. I love my EC friends (*hug*) I just wish we all lived together.
    ..to an extent. lol.

5. Hexagon

Same. I either constantly end up in situations without gay people, or have terrible gaydar and I don't know which it is, because I've yet to identify a gay person in situations I haven't deliberately put myself in because there are loads of LGBT people there.

Oh, for a friend who understands the first fucking thing about me.

6. manoverboard09

I think my gaydar is sensible.. it's just that most gay guys around here are entirely full of themselves, and I don't want a friend like that. I just want someone I can talk to.

7. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never really known any (openly) gay people aside from relatives.

8. castle walls

I know the feeling. I only have one close friend that falls under GSM (gender/sexual minority)

9. rg93

It's similar with me, I don't know anyone who is gay IRL, but having EC and the people on there to talk to help soooo much. :slight_smile:

10. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    pick me, pick me!!! :slight_smile:

11. manoverboard09

I think you all just need to add me and we can become best friends! Haha.

I guess knowing more gay people in real life depends on where you live.. like I said, I know plenty, but I just don't talk to them or they're just entirely different from me. I just wish I had someone in the same boat as myself around me physically.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I humbly volunteer my friendship in the name of LGBT solidarity...

13. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    2 gay friends? I don't even know any LGBT right now. But ya I'll gladly be added to your list XD

14. piratealisonnn

I don't have any close gay friends but I have family members who are gay and trans.

Lucky for me, I'm out to most of my friends and they're cool with it soo I can discuss things with them.

15. manoverboard09

I'm glad I'm not alone with this feeling! I sometimes wish I would've joined some of the LGBT clubs in high school, maybe I'd have more friends that are in the same category. However, I also tried to convince myself that I was straight in high school.. so that might have something to do with that.

I don't even have any gay or trans family members.

HOWEVER. Can we all just have a giant EC group hug?

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. Phenix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The only ones I know are my exes lol I mean..I know people who are gay but they aren't my friends. I might not actually be very far from you OP.

18. manoverboard09

Well I haven't dated any guys, so my only exes are females. And I don't get along with them.. at all. And if you're North Alabama, I'm East TN.

(*hug*)

19. AAASAS

I'm dealing with same situation. From a small town so I am lucky to have any friends so I'm not too picky with things like that, or I at least don't let it get to me.

I don't know where you are from, but if it is a well populated area it shouldn't be that hard to meet another gay person. Try being friendlier at work and school.

Also, you could try to come out to your friends at the moment, depending on how they would react. They may not be gay but you can still talk to them about things, especially if they knew about you.

Sometime's it's more about using what you have than trying to get more.

Still understand though not being able to talk to anyone about it, and the need to want another friend in the same situation, but sometimes you just make due with what you have, especially if you want to get over feeling negative over something. If there isn't a whole lot you can do to attain what you want try shifting your needs or making your current situation more suitable to what you want; whether that is telling your friends, trying social network sites to meet people in your area, or just being happier that you have access to online help. A lot of people don't even get internet or computer access and I couldn't imagine being gay, living in a small town, and not having that. Life would be impossible.

20. manoverboard09

I don't live in a small town, it's a pretty big metro. I'm really close to everyone at work, and I only have 2 other gay co-workers (that I know of).
    And at school I don't really talk to anyone that I didn't know ahead of time. I'm shy. So it comes with difficulty to be able to just randomly talk to people in my classes. Granted, I'm at a community college so it's a lot smaller classes. Perhaps when I go away to a university next year things will be different.

And I wish I could come out to my friends.. I just can't, yet. I'm not comfortable telling them.