1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone be gay or bisexual with the following characteristics/hobbies?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by clarkec1, Apr 11, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Can someone a boy be homosexual or bisexual with the following characteristics and hobbies?:

- Enjoys sports
    - Deep voice
    - Denies homosexuality when asked by strangers

Also, is Volleyball considered as a sport for girls, not boys, and are boys that play volleyball considered a bit different, effeminate and perhaps gay or bisexual.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes

Well, in my area, volleyball in schools is a girls' fall sport. At the same time, however, I don't think it's necessarily considered "only" a girls' sport. In PE classes in junior high, we played volleyball. This was back when PE classes were single sex, and I'm sure that the teachers (always men) were careful to select activities that were properly manly.

---------- Post added 11th Apr 2013 at 09:01 AM ----------

Bottom line: being gay is only about whom one is attracted to. You can have very feminine guys who are 100% straight, and very "masculine" guys who are 100% gay.

#2 BMC77, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Unless their characteristics include not being sexually attracted to men and their hobbies include having sex with women exclusively, then no matter what's on the list, yes.

That said, if they deny being gay, you should take them on their word. If they say they're straight, then either they are, or they're far back enough in the closet that they might as well be.

4. confeshhhions

A gay person can do anything - like sport, drink beer, normal things, just like straight boys. The only difference is the gender you are attracted to.

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know... there's only one thing that counts here:

If someone denies being gay... then the only thing you can do is take them on their word, really. Because it can mean any of the following:

1) They're just not gay. 90% of the human population isn't gay, after all.
    2) They're in denial or in the closet, and have no intention on coming out. In that case, there really is nothing you can do to drag them out either. Coming out is purely a personal decision.

Also, there really isn't a set of objective traits that you can use as a checklist to determine if someone's gay. Volleyball isn't more or less proof of gayness than football is. Gay guys have all kinds of voices. Some straight guys love sports, others are couch potatoes.
    Making lists and interpreting them is, I'm afraid, only telling you something about what you want, and not much about this guy.

I do really feel your pain here. I was 13 when I really fell hard for a guy for the first time. I liked him so much it hurt. Every moment I thought of him it hurt, and every moment I wasn't thinking of him felt like I was betraying him.
    Every time he said something in class, I was convinced it was a secret message to tell me he felt the same. Every time I saw him pass by, I analysed his way of walking, who he looked at, what he said... for secret signs of him being gay.
    In fact, there was not much he could have ever done for me to give up hope in him being gay and possibly into me...

I kept it up for three years too. Until he got a girlfriend. at first I thought it was just to make me jealous, even. But then they broke up and he got another. And another after that. Painful, but at least eventually I got wise to the fact that he was straight and not interested (and had, in fact, never even vaguely been interested). And I learned just how easy it had been to fool myself for years on end.

So... I understand how you're feeling. But don't be like I was. Dreaming is natural, but I think you have your answer: he denies being gay, so it's best to take him on his word.
    If you feel yourself obsessively grasping at straws, repeat to yourself that this is all just your mind obsessing, and that this is all just a crush. First crushes can be wickedly intense like that, but once you overcome the obsession, you will be the better for it!
    And if not this guy, there's others out there who will eventually return the feeling!

Yeah, I know. Not the answer you want to hear. But probably the most truthful one I can provide (*hug*)

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

All the replies are correct.

You appear to be using stereotypes in defining "gay" and this is as wrong for gays as it is to apply stereotypes to any other group.

You might find that only 2 out of 10 (if that) gays fit any gay stereotypes.

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can't judge a guy's sexuality by their voice or denying being gay or bi. If someone would ask me if I'm gay, I'd say no (which is true since I'm bi, but you get my point). Stereotypes are not cool.

Also volleyball isn't a single-sex sport. Every year in our gym classes we have a volleyball unit which includes guys and girls.

Seriously dude, don't overthink things...it'll cause too much trouble.

8. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    As far as I know, being gay only refers to feeling attracted (physically, emotionally and sexually) to other men. Gay men can be whatever they want and there are no set guidelines to be gay :slight_smile:

9. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hmmm im all that minus the gay part (ive not been asked whether im bi)

and some of my mates who play volley aint gay or bi... volley was a guys game till the girls came with ther hot bods and made it into beach volley... (lol thats my theory dont quote me on that)