1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supporting gay rights. Positive or negative?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dakine, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thought I'd grab the attention by a catchy title haha.

But seriously. I have a friend who is obviously closeted and extremely down on life right now because of it. I even have a friend bring this up to me about him, so its bot just wishful thinking on my end. she says she'd be as shocked as ever in life if he was straight, and its not based on stereotypes but behaviors. It's also a high possibility he likes me because of the way he behaves when dealing with me, again this was brought up by the same friend who backs up my opinion...I didn't ask her "do u think he likes me?" This is just some background as to why I'm asking this question.

I guess my question is this. Is it a positive or negative thing to be showing him I support gay rights. He already knows I'm 100% behind him in everything in his life. But I often wonder if my vocal support could do more harm than good. Like do u think it could cause a reaction of "would you just fuck off with it already?" Or will it help him realize there is nothing at all wrong with him. I don't go out of my way to support it in front of him. More or less I just share links on FB from time to time. I'm just worried about him right now. He is in a really low spot right now, and like I said its obvious to others that he is hurting, not just me. Thanks for any input.

2. LD579

Well, in your instance, I don't see how supporting gay rights would be a detriment. All you can do for this friend is be there for him if or when he comes out. Letting him know that you support gay people, and more importantly, that you're here for him as a friend, is very important. If he is gay and does consider coming out, you'd be higher on his list because of your open support.

3. catatonie

Keep in mind he may or may not be gay,
    there is usually more than one factor in being "down".
    The best thing you can do is support him
    as a friend
    be non-judgemental, try not to make assumptions.
    He could be down about anything
    might not even know if/why he is himself.
    Seeing you being positive about something probably won't hurt though!

4. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear u, but in this case I can almost guarantee this is the reason why because of things he has said etc. but yes, to be safe I always make sure that I'm not closing the door on other possible reasons.

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

And for future posters can we please not turn this into a "he might not be gay" thread. I have my strong reasons to believe this is the reason so is rather just have the question at hand be answered, thanks, and I hope that didn't come across like I'm a dick lol :slight_smile: