1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey look, another guy crushing over his best friend!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Absol, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh man where to begin.

So a couple of days ago, I was sitting here watching random youtube videos at 3 o'clock in the morning because I'm a insomniac. I then randomly out of no where realize that I'm in love with my best friend. It was just all these emotions that I've bottled up for years just finally exploded into this mess that mind is in right now. I then started crying and saying "No I can't be" and all this other stuff, I felt like some teenage girl in a movie. xD After I gathered myself, I finally just accepted it. I don't if that made sense, but that's best way I could describe it. I guess I just denied my feelings for him like how I denied my sexuality.

So about the guy, we've been friends since middle school and were pretty much inseparably all the way until we graduated. We would stay the weekend at each other's houses and during football season, after school we walked to our favorite pizza place, get breadsticks and just hang out until the game started. Right now, as I'm thinking back on it, I pretty much flirted with him without knowing about it. I would do things like touch his leg and sit really close to him, and there was that one night.... no I won't say that one. :x

Now he knows I'm gay, if you saw my other thread, he was the one who knew. (I'm now starting to figure out how he knew:eusa_doh:slight_smile: Problem is, he's 100% straight. I mean, there is the chance that he is gay and when I tell him how I feel, we passionately kiss like in my daydreams:grin:, but no, he's definitely straight. Thing is, I'm sort of nervous to tell him, I'm sure he wouldn't care, but I'm just afraid it will make things awkward. I've heard it's better to close the door on these kind of things, but could it better to leave it open? I don't know, I've never been in this type of situation with anyone before, so yeah.

2. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, if he is really a good and close friend then I doubt that anything would have changed. I'm pretty sure on some unconscious level that he is aware of your feelings for him- I mean comon, when we flirt its obvious whether or not we like it. That said, I cannot be too sure.

In the event that, you do come out and admit your feelings for him, and he is entirely fine with it but of course, rejects them- then I have reason to believe that his behavior towards you may not change entirely- but I'm sure that it will change. With the confirmation of your feelings, he may feel guilty if he flirts with you or strings you on like he did with the past. All of those gestures are good and fine between two straight friends because it means nothing at the end- and each one knows that the other would not be hurt in its process.

I don't think his behavior will dramatically change. But I do fear that your behavior will. With no longer the spark or suspicion that he may love you back in the same way, the relationship, at its worst, may lose a bit of its magic- things will no longer seem as exciting and fun as they use to be with the blunt truth staring right at you: that he doesn't love you, and will never ever feel that way. You will be hurt beyond words that can describe- and it will become difficult to distinguish between your sense of "best-friendship" and your love for him.
    This may sound pessimistic, but its the unfortunate truth when you are dealing with someone whom you have strong, unappreciated feelings for, but continue with a close level of acquaintance after the rejection. And it takes real strength and discipline to rise above the hurt; to remind yourself of the limits; and yet maintain the same level of intimacy and comradery as before as to not end or endanger a close friendship.

As to your final question about leaving the door open... well that would be holding onto a false sense of reciprocation- holding onto something that isn't true. And if you do that, you may find yourself 6 years down the line still crushing on your best friend as some of the other unfortunate members of ec in this situation. Doing so however keeps the excitement and hope alive- it keeps you happy and gives you a reason to enjoy his company. In some cases, the lie, or the dream that remains, with the sense of bitter hopefulness, is better than the asphalt reality marred with the drama and pain upon the bric-à-brac. But the happiness felt from something that is false and misinterpreted is, though exhilarating and euphoric in the short term, is soon after replaced by a repetitious cycle of a high and a low. you begin to crave more and more for any of his mistaken gestures of his supposed confirmation, and eventually it will reach a point where his affirmations are no longer enough- you find yourself attached to him more and more, caught in this endless cycle of extreme happiness in his company, and a sense of emptiness in his absence. All of this continues until you can no longer take it, and you will ask him.

Now, it would appear as though I am constantly replying in these threads- and I apologise for my repetition- but i do it as a way of coping and moving on- to reinforce in my mind that there is absolutely no hope whats so ever with my best friend... and i suggest you do the same as well. It takes a simple search and 30 minutes of browsing to realise that many many people have been through this problem as well (which is somewhat comforting knowing that you share the same experiences), and that almost 100% of the cases have ended in some grave misinterpretation on the behalf of one friend, followed by some form of rejection and subsequent pain.

#2 Mystory, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  3. CrazyAntFarm

Couldn't have said it better myself. Many posters have went through the same, including myself. If you don't believe, you can check the threads I posted. I'm sure it's still there lol...

4. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow what a response Mystory, thanks for it.

Oh he didn't really flirt with me, it was pretty much one way, sorry I didn't make it clear in the op. He also didn't really string me along, I don't think he was uncomfortable with it, I guess he just acted normal? I don't know maybe he did.:confuses2:

I'm pretty sure I can get through it, I mean I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the same feelings for me and I've kind of already started to accept it, but like I've said, I've never been in this situation. Thanks for telling me how I could feel afterwards, hopefully I won't be a total wreck.

Yeah I was figuring leaving the door open was a bad ideal, but I like hearing the reasons behind things and it makes total sense.

I also think he's the reason why I'm not allowing myself to actually think about dating or even forming feelings for another guy. I'm not blaming him, I'm actually blaming myself, but I think you know what I mean. Thanks for the reinsurance and hopefully it will go smoothly.

@CAF: Yeah that's why I worded the title that way. haha

5. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    true! we somehow feel guilty or that we will be betraying them/abandoning them if we start dating- always wondering if they might like us in return secretly! but i'm glad to hear that you're fine. Keep us posted.

6. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok this is really weird, but I seriously don't feel the same anymore and now I'm just really confused. When I wrote the op, I was just a mess and I really thought I liked my friend, but now I just don't feel the same. I've never been in love before, so I don't know if I was just grasping at straws or trying to make something out of nothing. When I had that overwhelming feeling it was late at night, I was tired, and I was feeling a little down, so maybe I turned the thought of my friend(who I just came out to not too long ago and was very support) into a false sense of love since I was in a emotional lull. I really don't know.

So is this normal?

7. rx79g

I dont know if its necessarily normal but I do it all the time. I think its possible that if you want to like someone or want to have that kind of intimacy than your mind can fabricate a crush from the closest thing you have: a close friend. I cycle through my guy friends doing this. I really want to meet someone and I keep falling for my friends but really its more of my mind making it true than realizing feelings.

Also, anything at all emotional from 11:00pm to 7:00am for me should not be trusted. When I'm tired I blow emotions way out of proportion. That probably contributed a lot.