1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An intervention? HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lexi, Apr 14, 2013.

1. lexi

lexi Guest

I think my grandmother is planning an intervention type thing for me tomorrow D:

My grandma is incredibly religious, and super homophobic...

Anyway, I posted a picture on Facebook that supported marriage equality, and within an hour she was telling me that she needed to talk to me one on one...

I'm almost positive that she's going to try to "save my soul" from falling into the homosexual "trap" that the devil set, or something...(Can you imagine if she knew I was bisexual? Ugh...) so tomorrow after school I'm going to her house. Im not coming out to her, im not ready for an all out battle with her, shes too stubborn. I have no idea what to expect though... Any advise? Words of encouragement? I'm pretty nervous...

2. LD579

Er... Perhaps get ready to leave when you're there? If things aren't going well, you don't have to stay there and listen to her. It sounds harsh, but it's an option you may want to consider.

Leave yourself an escape route, basically. You don't need to come out to her or anything, and try to be calm and composed (it may be difficult). I hope things go well for you tomorrow, though, and I hope you have a good rest today =)

What about your parents or guardians? Maybe they might find it ridiculous as well?

3. lexi

lexi Guest

She lives less than a mile from my house, and the weather will be nice enough- ill be ready to walk straight home at any moment. I think I'm going to try to be respectful and listen, but if I get personally offended leaving is probably better than arguing.

Tomorrow will be stressful, I have a big speech to give at school, and I know I'll be nervous all day anyway :/

Both my parents probably think it's ridiculous, but I know she'll keep emailing me if I don't talk to her.
    She actually wrote my mom a letter "from God" telling her all the things she was doing wrong in life (she's been know to do that sort of thing). So my parents both know how crazy she can get sometimes. She's always doing things "on God's behalf" basically, so I have no clue how she'll respond..

4. Ticklish Fish

oh geez.
    prepare a cheat sheet maybe? note card?

EDIT:
    btw, since when was your grandmother chosen to be spoken by God? the number of people being spoken by God at this age is astounding

5. lexi

lexi Guest

"Oh geez" is exactly what I thought when I saw the message she sent me...

A cheat sheet is a good idea!

Oh you know, she's always been the chosen one. She gods favorite- like the teachers pet. So it's her job to tell other people what they're doing wrong in life. But only the important stuff, you know, like why my mom should change her curtains. (Why on earth does god care what color out curtains are?!)It's not like she's old and suffering dementia or anything... She's not even 65 yet!

She had this friend (I think she was the antichrist) who convinced her into all this stuff... Her friend was really messed up, she would call my grandma in the middle of the night because "God" needed her to run to Walmart and pick something up for her. Ugh. She even had my grandma paying tithes to her! She must have brainwashed her or something... (Eventually her friend died of cancer or something, but my grandmas still a little weird)

So you can see why I'm scared, right? I love my grandma, and when you avoid talking about religion, she's pretty normal. But she's homophobic so I'm not looking forward to this visit...

#5 lexi, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  6. Ticklish Fish

WOAH WOAH WOAH.
    using the name of God to get someone to pay your tithe and run errand to walmart? I am pretty sure there's a limit somewhere on doing things in name of God.
    Just woah...

I wish you best of luck tomorrow!

just note that if she starts doing weird and crazy things, maybe you should leave?

7. Caudex

Caudex Guest

You seem to think that your grandma is inherently superior to you.
    I would say that my grandmother is an inherently superior person to me.
    But in my opinion, anyone who is that homophobic has a very small chance of being a better person than you.

Don't be afraid to call her on her sh•t.

8. lexi

lexi Guest

[/COLOR]
    Yeah, woah. I'm pretty sure most of that is pretty unchristian, if you ask me.
    Thanks, hopefully it'll all be okay in the end, but ill defiantly be prepared to make a run for it!

I don't think she is superior to me. Unlike her, I think all people should be treated equally. I'm defiantly not afraid to tell her she's wrong or stand up for myself.

I think I'm going to brush up on my bible versus before I go over there though...

#8 lexi, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013