1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh, the dreaded "crush on straight(?) guy friend" thread is back.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ohlawd, Apr 15, 2013.

1. ohlawd

Oh, I can just hear the moans and groans of yet another "crush on a straight guy" post. Many apologies.
    I haven't come out to a single person yet, so this is rather awkward to type to total strangers. Thanks for bearing with me. I'm a freshman in high school and a total band geek. I'm also bi (I think, sexually attracted to men, emotionally attracted to both men and women). I've had two girlfriends, and this would be my second crush on a guy. For our purposes, let's call him Joe.
    He is in my section and we sit next to each other every day (both second altos). We've only known each other since August, both we've really gotten to know each other and are best friends. Recently, we went on an out-of-state band trip and that's when this all really began. Our hotel room was him, two others, and myself. For whatever reason, Joe thought it'd be a good idea to play truth or dare. I was already starting to get "those" feelings for him, as on the several hour bus ride there, we really bonded. At one point, he even fell asleep on my shoulder. I would have enjoyed it more if our band director wasn't sitting directly behind us O.O. Whatever position he was in, I always "accidentally" shifted poisitions to a point where we were somehow touching. Oops. So, anyways, back to truth or dare. Joe was recently dumped by his girlfriend, so we did a lot of "guy" stuff. In that game, Joe and I had hugged, layed on each other, and other less-than-masculine things I can't remember at this point. Afterwards, we slept in the same bed (no complains there). We positioned ourselves somewhat close to each other, and facing each other. It was bliss.
    Prior to that, when Richard (another changed name. Fun, isn't it?) left the room to talk to our band director, we scurreyed in the bathroom and I put my shirt on backwards and he took his pants off (hawt) and put them on backwards to make obvious implications. We then proceeded to hide in the closet. When he returned, we pretended to make out. One of the dares was to lay on each other (no idea why, put a pillow inbetween us so he wouldn't feel...you know...) and afterwards (in bed) he said "it's only gay if you think it's gay".

The next day, at the amusement park, we esentially pretended to be a gay couple for a while. We held hands several times for the weird stares us band kids know all too well. On when on the rides, just out of the blue, he grabbed by hand and we held hands. Totally private. I'm sure there's other things I'm missing, but that's the jist of it.

On the bus ride home, he once again fell asleep on my shoulder. It couldn't have been on accident, or comfortable, as I was shivering (soaked from a water ride, and dry clothes were buried under the bus). He slept there for a majority of the time, until some of our friends started laughing at him. Fear not, I'll beat them up later. Not really. I'm kinda sarcastic, if you haven't already noticed.

So what I'm really getting at...I just can't tell what's going on. Like, I know a lot (if not all) had the goal of making people feel awkward (it's just what we do...) but somethings I felt like he really enjoyed. Like, through several of these activities, it appeared as though he had a boner (sorry, younger crowd). And the holding hand things. So many mixed signals. I can't tell if he's just really comfortable with me, or if he feels the same why I do about him. It also came up on our too-loud (laughter was heard loudly, and our room had to be inspected for girls, lmao) game of truth or dare that the farthest Joe would *currently* go with another guy is hold hands. And then he held hands with me the next day on the ride. I just, don't know what to make of all of this. If that was totally intentional and supposed to be a major hint, or just a coincidence. I'm having much difficulty masking these feelings and not making them totally obvious, so any advice on the matter would be much appreciated. What I'm ultimately afraid of is telling him I feel, being rejected, and awesome friendship goes down the drain. Also, one of our section members (and soon to become section leader) who we are REALLY tight with is slightly homophobic. One of the seniors (bi) is trying to inform her. But if he were to reject me, and think I was creepy or something, we would find great difficulty working together. (For those of you who don't know, band [especially marching band] require great amounts of collaboration) And what we have would stop. I'm really looking forward on the trip next year (much longer) for this same experience. I seriously can't tell if he's straight and being friendly and all that, or is bi/gay and giving me signals. Help.

2. funnylion

funnylion Guest

Personally, I think he may be giving you signals BUT I'm only hearing one side of the story. I would say to play it out a little bit longer and see if anything else comes up. But at some point you need to confront him about it because it's really not fair to you. (No, he doesn't know how he's not being fair to you but you do and he needs to realise this). I wouldn't start by telling him you have a crush on him, rather ask him what those 'signals' really meant. Was he just putting on a show? Or is there a little bit of truth in the hand-holding and other stuff? YOU be the one who's understanding and telling him that it's alright to have those feelings (because if he says, yes, they are real feelings then you can tell him how you feel!). If he says no, though, I still think you need to tell him how you feel (otherwise he'll get suspicious of the point of the conversation) but then also make it clear that you still want to be friends (sorry cliché) - he just has to stop with the 'extra' stuff because, again, it's not fair to you. Tell him that even though you liked the 'extra' stuff it would now make you uncomfortable knowing that it's nothing more than play and nothing can come from it. It sounds like your friendship is strong enough that you can be honest with each other and still maintain a friend-relationship even if things don't turn out the way you want them to.

Best of luck to you.

3. manoverboard09

He could just be a really friendly person, or he may really like you..
    You're just gonna have to see where it goes, give it a little bit of more time. But him holding your hand and such.. that's cute, maybe he does feel something. It seems like you guys have a great friendship going on, and you wouldn't want to ruin that. Since you're not out to anyone, I'm assuming he doesn't know either?

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It might possibly be a case of bromance. I had a huge crush on my oldest and best friend.
    And eventhough we hug and sleep in the same bed when sleeping over, he's straight.
    Tricky situation. I'll try to read your whole post later and hopefully give some proper advice later.

5. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Wow! He really must be trying to tell you something. I'm sorry but I just can't think of another reason why he would be so content with doing all of this stuff with you (even sleeping with you!).

I personally think that he has feelings more than friendship, but I could be completely wrong, he might just be a very very friendly person.

If you don't want to spoil a friendship though, I would leave it a while, try to collect some more "signs" that he likes you, but if you do end up telling him, be careful!

Good for you that he is doing all this stuff with you, I'd enjoy it! Lol.

But good luck for whatever you do!

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would start with telling him that you're attracted to other guys, but not awkwardly, just kind of jokingly. If he asks if you really are, be honest and come out to him. If he knows you have homoerotic tendencies, he will either 1.) back off the bromance or 2.) keep batting his lashes at you so to speak. How he responds to your coming out will tell you a lot about his feelings toward you.

Be careful though! He just got out of a relationship and you don't want to end up being his rebound romance if he DOES like you that way. I'd say give it time to recognize signs after you come out to him.

It sounds like he'd be really accepting if you came out to him anyway. :slight_smile:

7. sensorat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hah. I did the same thing with this kid on a Jr high trip to Disneyland. And I thought the same things, etc. The only difference is, I didn't mention anything and I didn't go for it. And yes, we both turned out both gay. I still wonder how thing would have been if I said anything.

You should/need to mention it. A "Something" will happen. I don't know what, but not saying anything will only make a nothing happen. Go for it. Just make sure you know what you want after he answers.