1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm living two lives and I'm so unhappy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LadyFuschia, Apr 17, 2013.

1. LadyFuschia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello, I'm new to these forums and would really appreciate some help.

I've recently discovered I'm bi-sexual at 28. I only realised this after embarking on an intense romantic affair with a lesbian acquaintance which has been going on for the past 8 months. I know this makes me a terrible person and I do feel really tortured by it. However, I have also never felt so alive or romantically attached to anyone before. The physical side of the relationship is incredible and more fulfilling than anything I've experienced with the two men I'd previously been with. In fact, I now feel as if my orientation has taken a dramatic 180 degree turn and I almost exclusively look at females and think romantically and sexually of being with women...specifically ONE woman.

However - massive problem. I'm engaged to a man who I joint-own a house with. I never intended to have an affair and never thought I liked women like that, although I've always believed you fall in love with a person, not their gender. I have been with my fiance for 7 years and he is kind, sweet, fiercely intelligent and looks after me very attentively. He cooks and does all the DIY, he wants to have kids with me and my parents very much want me to be looked after by him.

The problem is - I'm a big fat cheat and completely sexually disinterested in him, although I love him still very tenderly. I haven't slept with him in over a year and before that we never kissed on the mouth (not since our first two years of the relationship- my choice not his). Interestingly, all the stuff I don't like doing with him because it's too intimate for me (oral, kissing, naked sex, and *ahem* the more adventurous bedroom manoeuvrings) I LOVE doing with my girl.

The girl and I have been together romantically for 8 months now. She was a casual acquaintance I'd always found pretty and intriguing but until she began pursuing me and taking more interest, I had never considered her in that way. I was intensely lonely and depressed when we began talking regularly and soon found we shared the same interests, fears and even hangups and paranoia. I have bared my soul to her completely and she to me. She knows more about me than I have ever told anyone and the ironic thing is, I began being this honest because I never saw a risk of becoming emotionally or sexually attracted to her because she was female. Big mistake!

My girl has introduced me to her family on many occasions and they really like me and think I'm good for her. She and her family want me to move out of my house and set up home with her but I think it's way too soon for that, although I don't doubt that I want to be with her forever, if I can be.

So the problems I need help with:
    a) Should I leave my fiance, even though my family told me being in a gay relationship is an "abomination" and that they will never accept me or any offspring or partners I have as a result of a lesbian relationship? My family on the other hand, love my male fiance and want me very much to stay with him.

b) Can things work out with this girl who I love so very, very much? I'm scared that despite her commitment in introducing me to her family, sharing everything with me even her bank details!) and her obvious emotional passion for me, she might leave me for someone else if the intensity fades. I don't want to lose my home, my fiance and my family to end up ultimately alone. Sorry if that sounds selfish.

c) Am I an evil emotional parasite who will never be capable of selfless love? I'm so afraid that all this stuff only leads to the conclusion I'm a bad, bad person who doesn't deserve happiness.

Please, please help me. I'm talking to the Samaritans and have been to the Drs about counselling as this has consumed my entire life and cost me my friends and family. I really am in torment and need some advice! Thank you for reading.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

a) You definitely should tell your fiance. Right now, he's attached to a fantasy that apparently isn't going to come true. So the right thing to do is to set him free so he can go find somebody who CAN love him completely in return.

b) Can things work out? Definitely. WILL they? No way to tell. No relationship comes with a guarantee. The only way to find out is to give it a go.

c) You're an evil parasite if you decide to keep your fiance (and perhaps marry him) while keeping your girlfriend on the side. Otherwise, you're a woman who found somebody that makes you happier, in a more complete way, than the person you're currently engaged to. Which is why you should talk to your fiance and break things off. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. OutwardSmiles

You can't live your life based on other people's beliefs. It is your life after all, not theirs. I know it must be hard to not be supported by your family on something as big as this, but at the end of the day, it's your happiness that's at stake and you'll still love who you love. If you really don't want to be in a relationship with this man anymore, you shouldn't hold back from your decision because somebody else thinks it's wrong. If your family truly loves you, hopefully they will come to understand your decision in time. You need to be yourself; it's the only way you can be happy.

Only time can tell. The true question is do you love her enough to be willing to risk all of that on a relationship with her and do you trust that she loves you enough to stay with you?

No. Being confused and indecisive does not make you an evil person. In fact when I read this post you come across as a good person who is just feeling a little overwhelmed and conflicted. I don't believe you are incapable of selfless love; the fact that you're worried about that seems to be proof to me that you're a very kind person anyways. And no matter what happens, you will always be worthy of happiness.

PS. Remember that loving a person of the same sex is not a sin. From all that talk about it being an "abomination" I'm guessing you're Christian. If that's what you or your family members have been hearing at church, you're going to the wrong one. I am personally a Christian, and I can tell you that that thinking is wrong. God teaches love, not hate. Always believe in your own heart, not the views of others.

4. LadyFuschia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you so much for your replies. I am genuinely crying with relief that you have taken the time to respond to me, I am so scared right now :frowning2:

I literally can't talk to anyone in real life about this stuff, except the girl I'm seeing and obviously she's not exactly impartial.

Lexington: Thanks, I definitely don't want to lead my fiance on; you are totally right. I take marriage and engagement very seriously and don't want to get married, have kids and then break their hearts or my husband's by revealing how unhappy I am.

Outwardsmiles: Thank you for your detailed response. I am so bad at dealing with change and now I've gone and gotten myself into a right old drastic life-changing situation. I feel safe and secure with my fiance but not in love and the idea of physical intimacy with him makes me feel ill and sad. Also, I think I've damaged the relationship beyond repair with my lies and deceit.

I'm actually not Christian but I went to Sunday School as a kid and I know my scripture pretty well. My mum is very religious however and I think she not only disagrees with my sexuality on religious grounds but also because she is worried about the shame she feels I'll bring on her. Her first response when I said I thought I had shifted to only liking exclusively women was the embarrassment she'd feel if other family members found out. I am trying not to take offense as I know it's a huge shock for her but it is really scary and hard, knowing she loves me but does not accept me and actively disapproves of me.

I've always striven to please my parents. It is so important to me that they love me and are proud of me. Both my parents suggested I should stay with my fiance and agree to sex on special occasions like birthdays and Christmas to keep the peace but I don't think I can do this. Especially not when I feel so much genuine attraction and love for someone else. My thoughts go round and round and each time I feel like my heart breaks a little bit more at the hopelessness of it all.

5. moonwillow

My marriage was empty. My sex life was a joke. I tried to love him, we were able to be friends but that is really about it. We had two kids together. When the marriage fell apart it was awful and while it hasn't been an easy adjustment for any of us I am honestly worlds happier now than I ever was with him. I'm dating a woman that I'm madly in love with, who I've known since before I married my ex, and I for the first time in my life have an actual desire for sex.

I dated my ex for 2 years (1 long distance, one in person) before we married and we were married for 5 for a total of 7 years. We were buying a house together. And like I mentioned before we have two kids together. Most of my family on my mom's side is totally unaccepting of my new relationship, even my mother was a bit put off by it at first but she did come around and she now loves my g/f. Maybe it won't work out with your parents like it did with my mom (my dad already has one gay daughter so I don't think it phased him when he found out about me) but you might be pleasantly surprised.

I honestly think that even though it will be awfully hard breaking things off with your fiancé now, it is the better plan. Even if you were to marry him and have kids with him there is no 100% guarantee that it'll work out with him in the long run either. I think its better to be gloriously happy for an unknown amount of time, despite the complications, than it is to settle for safe and comfortable and easy.

#5 moonwillow, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  6. PeteNJ

Happiness comes from being authentic and true to yourself and who you know yourself to be.

Your fiance-- as tough as it might be, regardless of the relationship you're in, could you honestly say you would be happy with him for the rest of your life? Answer that question honestly, and then be honest with him.

Your girlfriend -- IMO, you need to clean up the entanglements with your fiance, that's got to be a priority. Otherwise you will be in two worlds, which you've already identified as being a tough thing to deal with.

I was in nearly the same place as you. Deeply in love with a woman who expected to get married and wanted to be with me forever. Very hard to leave a love like that.

I was deeply depressed and as I worked that through came to accept that I'm gay.

Lot of pain, heartache. And at the same time a huge relief, my world was lightened. And now I'm dating guys (openly), its really so great, so natural, so right for me.

Many of us on this forum, at all different life stages, who have similar stories. We're all here to support you and each other.